1949 P-18 quits running

Started by 28 Ply.cpe, September 24, 2020, 12:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TodFitch

Good to hear you've got it fixed!
  •  

28 Ply.cpe

Fuel tank was filled with rust. Car sat too long or low on bad gas. New gas tank and rebuild of carburetor fixed all the problems. The in tank filter was plugged with rust. After car sat rust must have settled to drive a couple more miles and then it would quit again. I am glad the problem was solved.
1928 Model Q Business Coupe
1949 P-18 Special Deluxe 4 door
  •  

28 Ply.cpe

Thanks Tod for the inf0.  New fuel pump , the glass bowl is always full. I did go and buy a new coil just today.  I had a tractor that acted the same way and it was the coil. I just didn't think about it because I haven't had this problem since I haven't had a car in the 40s or 50s for such a long time. I did reroute  a new fuel line and put fuel wrap 400 degree tape on the line and came up mid way on the air cleaner and back into the carb. The car has been running for about a 1/2 hour now.  Just up and down my country road. I don't know what it is going to do once I get up to speed on the paved road. Will find out tonight.  Then I will check the electrical. Thanks for your help.  Car is showing 37900 miles on it. Looks like new.
  •  

TodFitch

Might want to check the ignition system too: I had a car that acted like that once and spent untold time looking at the fuel system only to eventually find that the coil had a problem (probably a broken internal wire) and would stop working when it got hot.

On the fuel side: If you put a pressure gauge on the outlet side of the fuel pump (will have to rework the plumbing to "T" it in) then you can confirm or deny a fuel delivery problem when hot.
  •  

28 Ply.cpe

I bought this car 2 months ago. New fuel pump , old style, all new brake lines and shoes and cylinders. Stops good.  Maiden voyage to go to the DMV.  It quits running after 5 miles doing 40mph.  Temperature is 160.  I don't know what is normal for this 6 cyl engine.  You have to wait for it to get back to 100 degrees before it starts back up and goes another 4 or 5miles. I haven't driven it in the city yet. I'm in the country.  Is it vapor lock. How do I fix it.  I removed gas cap and no difference. I also installed a fuel filter in line under the frame.  The fuel pump also has a screen in it. Is it too much restriction. Also the car originally had a dual action fuel pump which wasn't working right, so I went to the older style single with a glass bowl. Anyone have any other suggestions so I can have a no worry drive. Thanks
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk