Vibrations in '51

Started by Flathead, August 05, 2018, 05:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Fleiter

fine solution!

I have bernbaum´s parts here for rebuilding.
But they could not get out the trunnion!
So, I´m letting the good performing shaft as it is until getting any trouble.
Than, Your choice seems logical!
Greetings from Düsseldorf!
Go
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy
  •  

Flathead

My vibration problem is finally solved. 
I purchased a new drive shaft complete with modern u-joints from Joe McGinnis (Callison Enterprises 706 781 2805) after reading another post from a fellow with a 39 Plymouth.  Joe had me measure the shaft from the center of the welds at either end and made the shaft for me. It took about 2 weeks. Joe was very nice to deal wit but more importantly the vibration that was driving me nuts is gone.
  •  

Flathead

Hello GO
Thank you for the tip, I'll give it a try
It seems you are very active on this sight and are very knowledgeable.
Thanks again,
Gary
  •  

Go Fleiter

I had the same Problem, solution was to turn the drive shaft back end to front.
The shaft is symmetrical, but has a direction because of beeing balanced in only one direction.
I put a big arrow on it to remember me of front or rear end.
Good luck!
Greetings from Düsseldorf!
Go
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy
  •  

Flathead

Help!
I have a'51 Cranbrook that has a vibration between 30 - 50 mph.. The engine was balanced at time of rebuild as was the fly wheel, pressure plate, and driveshaft.  The u-joints were rebuilt but gave the mechanic(s) a bit of trouble.   The rear end components have not yet been replaced.  The tires are radials and have been balanced.   It does not have a harmonic balancer.
I heard there is someone who makes new drive shafts with modern u-joints.  Anyone know does that sort of thing?
Do you think that would help?
Any ideas?
Thanks
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk