Dodge motor in my business coupe

Started by roynan, December 25, 2005, 04:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Jax

it happens.
our unrestored '37 has a factory rebuilt '53 Dodge Truck engine, even though the car only has 51,000 actual miles.
when I spoke recently to the guy who owned it from late 60's to sometime in the 90's he was very surprised, he said the original engine was still in it and running well when he sold.
somebody got careless, fried the original and put in watever MoPar flattie was available....
Chris Brown
Jacksonville, Florida
'37 P4 4-door Touring
'31 Ford Standard Coupe
  •  

Jim Benjaminson

My guess is that sometime in the life of the car, it needed a new engine and there was a '50 Dodge engine laying around or available.  The Dodge would be a 230 cid while the Plymouth was a 218, so the swap would make sense from a "horsepower" point of view as well.....
  •  

roynan

Hi, I bought a 1950 Plymouth business coupe last week and am starting to get into it and see that the motor serial # starts with D34. my motor manual tells me thats a 1950 Dodge engine and I'm wondering if the two brands were assembled in the same factory and a dodge engine was substituted for some reason. If that was a possibility at the time or if that never happened I would appreciate any observations anyone has. Maybe the motor was changed at a later date and it just happened to be a 1950 block. Thanks, Roy
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk