Author Topic: PT81  (Read 267 times)

Gina1939

• First Gear
Re: PT81
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 07:30:10 PM »
I am right in the middle of Illinois. I have tried to speak with mechanics who can help but they are all swamped. YouTube is great! Thank you for the suggestions, I will keep looking for a mechanic and do what I can on my own.

twpoulter

• Tom
  • Full throttle user!
    • It’s all about early Plymouth vehicles
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 05:58:04 PM »
Not to shabby at all, obviously well cared for, must be a good story in the background, I would imagine your dad parked it up with every intention of using it again. Hopefully you will find someone that will recommission it for you so that you will be able to take it out once in a while. What part of the country are you in, never know we may be able to find an enthusiast for you. Thank you for posting the photos.

Tom
Tom in the UK       1933 PDX R/S Coupe RHD
1934 PE PU if there was one              1941 PT125 
  https://ctrestorations.com/

Bill Davis

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 06:13:52 PM »
Gina,
Thank you for posting photos of your truck.  It looks great.

The reason that you cannot push the truck out of the garage could be that the brakes are seized up.

So, where to start ????   You may have already done this, but one place to start would
be to look on, for example YouTube, at some videos of posters pulling cars/trucks out of
barns and getting them running. 

I would get the engine running (make sure the engine is not "frozen"),
clean out/rebuild carburetor, re-do all the brakes and master cylinder and maybe brake lines,
renew cooling system, then make it a "rolling restoration.  Put on new tires and then it would
be up to you as to how far you wish to take the truck. 

The things you do not know how to do might be answered from an internet search.  And
if you do not have a service manual, this would be a wise purchase as well. 

Let us know if we can be of any help to you.  Someone on this forum will know the answer -
or will have an opinion. 
-Bill Davis, Florence,AL
1951 Plymouth P-23 Cambridge 4 door

Gina1939

• First Gear
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 10:43:14 PM »
Cab of my PT81

twpoulter

• Tom
  • Full throttle user!
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 04:35:21 PM »
It is so heavy that I can't push it from the garage. But, I will try to get more pics soon.

Hi Gina, what a beauty, and you have the very rare center stainless trim molding up the front of the grill, I know several guys in the States that just can't find even an old beaten up center trim to have restored. Like Go has already said keep it safe, there are plenty out there that would be pleased to own it. When you have time it would be good to see photos of the inside of the CAB, hopefully the mice haven't got in there. Look forward to following your journey.

Tom

Go Fleiter

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 09:54:14 AM »
this is a unique beauty!
scripts and grille complete!
Seems to need just some dusting!
Before taking it out, be sure to have a good storage place for it!
Really worth every effort!
Greetings!
Go
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy

Gina1939

• First Gear
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »
It is so heavy that I can't push it from the garage. But, I will try to get more pics soon.

Gina1939

• First Gear
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 10:19:02 AM »
Thank you for your help!

Go Fleiter

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 11:34:12 AM »
how to post fotos + example pics

- click button "reply" (headline)
- click line below text input space "Attachments and other options"
- click below "search" (I only have the german name "durchsuchen")
         (-you get Your WIN- explorer index)
- choose Your image file (observe number and size restrictions!)
- click "insert attachment"
- click "preview" to check
- click "more attachments" for more (max 6).
- click "post"

Example pics:

The cats like sleeping around us when we are busy.
Both back on the tarpaulin:

We did lots of travels and continue to do:

This in the Austrian Alps was the car´s most difficult climb and descent.
Mad bicycle drivers were faster, up and down!

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 11:35:17 AM by Go Fleiter »
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy

Gina1939

• First Gear
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 09:18:00 PM »
Hi Twpoulter,
My dad couldn't get something off an axle?  Needed a puller maybe? The truck is entirely there. The 39 has very little chrome. I believe there is a small strip down the front of the grill, and the Mayflower.
Also the tailgate is plain, has no Plymouth imprinted on it. I am not on Facebook. I tried to attach photos here but was not successful. There is always tomorrow.

twpoulter

• Tom
  • Full throttle user!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 05:47:28 PM »
 Hi Gina, these Pickups are getting very desirable, first of all how complete is your dads old truck, some parts are getting very difficult to find particularly the chrome trim pieces to the grill. Photos will help us understand what you are up against, I'm in the UK with a PT125 1941 very similar to yours but 39,40 & 41 were different up front. If you do FaceBook join the page Plymouth, Dodge, & Fargo Trucks (1939-1947) a good source of quick information plenty of help and advice if you have problems. Plentiful supply of the important parts to make it safe, Brakes , Steering and Suspension are the first areas to tend to. Can you remember why your dad stopped using it and see if you can get someone to try turning the engine over by hand after taking the plugs out may well be stuck, there are several fluids you can get to help ease a frozen engine. Good luck with new toy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 06:06:53 PM by twpoulter »

Gina1939

• First Gear
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 07:11:47 AM »
Thanks Go,
I spoke to one garage that would not be able to start on it for a year. I agree it would be great to keep it in the family but none of the grandkids want or care about it. I hope to begin cleaning it up today. Thanks for the encouragement!
Gina

Gina1939

• First Gear
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 06:59:42 AM »
Bill,
Thank you so much for your response. I guess I just needed affirmation from someone. I will begin today.
Thanks again,
Gina

Go Fleiter

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 06:58:30 AM »
 let one expert person check up, what work/ money/ time Bills suggestion needs to be fulfilled.

Frame rust, brakedrums pitted...
Than You have some facts to decide on proceedings.
We would like to see it kept in Your family!
Good luck!
Go
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 07:01:29 AM by Go Fleiter »

Bill Davis

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 11:42:57 PM »
Gina,
I will say that you need to decide how much of the work you are willing to do yourself (or if you know a friend that will help you) and/or
how "deep your pockets are" if you wish to take it to a restorer.  It's your decision, but if it was mine, i would just get it running/stopping/
driveable, clean it up and then decide what you want to do to it in the end.  Once it is running/stopping/driveable vehicle, you can decide if you
want to go further with a restoration, like paint, upholstery, etc.
-Bill Davis, Florence,AL
1951 Plymouth P-23 Cambridge 4 door

Gina1939

• First Gear
PT81
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 01:24:41 PM »
I have my dad's 1939 Plymouth truck in my garage. It hasn't run in over 20 years and will need lots of work.
Do I sell it, try to work on it myself or speak to someone who can do a partial restore? I do not want a shiny, fancy thing. I just want to preserve what it is and drive it once. Dad would have liked that.  [ Invalid Attachment ]    [ Invalid Attachment ]      

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk