Speedo cable

Started by Robert5, May 11, 2020, 04:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Davis

Like CHS, my '51 Cambridge has a wick where the speedometer cable housing screws into the back of the speedometer.
Oiling it really helped the "see/saw" motion (and noise) my speedometer needle would make while driving in the winter time.
-Bill Davis, Killen,AL
1951 Plymouth P-23 Cambridge 4 door
  •  

CHS

since you have the speedometer out check to see if there is a lubricating wick. MY 55 has one. I would remove it and put some penetrating oil in it let it soak in then try to turn  where the cable connects by hand.
  •  

Go Fleiter

really bad luck!
Repair of the speedo proper is a matter of watchmakers!
Pulling it out will leave You already with a couple of excoriations...
Good luck anyhow!
Go
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy
  •  

Robert5

Well, finally got around to it.
It was a fail.
Both ends connected easily....right there I should have known I was sunk. lol.
Test drive....no work. The speedo itself must be so well seized that it instantly snapped the new cable as soon as I moved forward.
Well, I am used to driving the car with no speedometer and no odometer that it won't bother me at all.
So, I think I'm done with that for now, at least. Too many other projects like motorcycles to deal with right now and funds are low anyway.

•  

Go Fleiter

important hint from CHS!!

And remember to repeat lubricating every year! Take engine oil and let it enter from top,
it will find all the way down to the trans.
And yes, it is a mess: put a newspaper under the dash, for the drips ...
Greetings from Düsseldorf!
Go
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy
  •  

CHS

when replacing the cable make sure to lube it first. That is most likely the reason your original broke in the first place. Lubricating reduces binding.
  •  

Robert5

Many thanks Go.
I will let you know how I make out when I attempt it.

Thanks again.
  •  

Go Fleiter

If You are ok witilh the old flex-tube, You can even just pull the old cable out and just slip the new cable in.
This work is easy done from the Radio hole.
You omit working under the car plus pushing the outer flex- tube through the engine compartement.
Greetings from Düsseldorf!
Go
  •  

Go Fleiter

It may be easier to get access from the radio hole.
Taking the Radio out is fast.
Than fix lower speedo end first, turn cable until it engages, than try upper end.
I cant remember how I did make fit the upper. Maybe it entered without aligning?
Good luck!
Go
  •  

Robert5

I'm waiting on a Speedo cable. Should be here by weeks end.
Just un-screw from both ends,right? 1951 Cambridge.
Should be able to reach gauge end from under the dash. Am I correct about that?

Thanks
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk