George Asche Overdrive

Started by Don St Peter, July 25, 2019, 02:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don St Peter

Thanks for all the help guys. I have been side tracked on other matters, but will kep you posted on findings.
Thanks again
Don
  •  

Go Fleiter

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjSi8SFxtzjAhXC-qQKHWVDALYQFjAKegQIABAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftalk.classicparts.com%2Fattachments%2Fborg-warner-r10-r11-overdrive-manual-pdf.23794%2F&usg=AOvVaw2ctNTtqMH6EHQmhyh31vrC

Than choose "open with adobe reader"

Than You can use the documents Icons: file - save as- give it a name and save it in Your Computer.
Sorry, I don´t know the exact english names for the various ikons..

Comes a generic Borg-Warner OD- Manual.
Plymouth is not mentioned, but electrics at least seem identical to me.
Greetings! Go
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy
  •  

Bill Davis

There is a sixteen page service and trouble shooting manual you can download from the internet.
Google warner overdrive manual.
-Bill Davis, Killen,AL
1951 Plymouth P-23 Cambridge 4 door
  •  

Go Fleiter

The only thing sensitive to polarity is the old radio, as far as I know.
The Overdrive electrics are not polarity sensitive.
I use mine with 6V negative grounded without any changement.
I even use unchanged Voltage Regulators.
Sometimes the OD will fail:
with mine, it was always the switch on the lockout rail.
After I had this diagnosis,
pulling and pushing the actuator cable several times
always helped until now .
If not, begin with testing the solenoid by
bridging the battery plus (You are positive grounded now? use no 16 cables!)
[attachment id=0 msg=19479]
- comes from horn relay
+ comes from battery
You should hear the click!
If not, bridge the minus too from the batt (it does have 6,5 V at least??)
Clicking?
Than test the contact if working (disconnect one of the cables before measuring!)
If working, hook up a provisorial switch to actuate th OD- relay while driving:
be sure to have the lockout bowden cable "in" and not to switch on until in 2nd or third and not under 25 mph!
Be sure not to short the provisorial switch connectors!
If the OD  than does not engage, actuate the Solenoid by bridging from the Batt. with no. 10 cable.
Clicking?
If not, You must check all the intermediate contacts.
I canceled the kick-down- paraphernalia for this (and it seems to brutal to me) on my system.
Besides there are 2 more switches (Governor and Lockout Rail Sw.) plus a 2-step- system in the Solenoid itself which may fail.
Or the numerous connectors!
write me a mail if more questions, as I´m no longer frequently active here!
Remember: few mechanics know how to repair Oldtimer Electrics, especially the OD variety!
It pays to know how to! Do You have the OD- manual? You may need a fotocopy of it! 
Greetings from Düsseldorf!
Go
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy
  •  

Bill Davis

My idea would be to contact George Asche and see what he has to say on this subject.
-Bill Davis, Killen,AL
1951 Plymouth P-23 Cambridge 4 door
  •  

Don St Peter

I suffered a recent brain fart in wrongly installing a new battery in my original 40 Ply P-9 in that I hooked the negative lead to ground on my positive ground system. Of course my car started OK, so I did not sense what I had done until I tried to start it up a few hours later and things were very dead.
Long story short, after installing a new 6 volt voltage regulator, I took it out for a drive and everything seemed OK except I could not engage the Asche overdrive that I had installed 5 or 6 years ago now and has thus far performed masterfully.
Upon investigating further I noted that I could not hear the transmission mounted solenoid engage when moving the dash mounted switch, which I could normally hear click before, if I remember right.
This leads me to believe I may have fried the solenoid, or perhaps another component.
Can someone out there give me some advice on what I should next in troubleshooting and/or fixing my baby? 
Don
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk