Author Topic: Piston Woes  (Read 170 times)

pb rookie

• Full throttle user!
Re: Piston Woes
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 02:32:00 PM »
Well, When I pulled out the bad piston, the Babbitt on the con rod is missing a few pieces. I've pulled the rest of the pistons (more Babbitt missing) and have come to the conclusion that I have pull the engine to have it re Babbitt.

I have leads on a couple guys here in Southern Ontario that have done Babbitt. Anything I should watch out for or ask?

I did search this site for info regarding have replaceable bearings inserted, anyone have any luck in this direction?

Also, When removing the rad-grille assembly is there a proper sequence to do that? It looks like I'll have to break off the two lower what appears to be carriage bolts, and then loosen off the support rods at the firewall? Should that pretty much do it?

Cheers!
Dave

pb rookie

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 06:11:09 PM »
Thanks for the quick response guys, I had seen an add in the MOPAR parts locating guide for EDDE Mfg. that I'd received from the club a few years back, I'll be in touch with them. I had read that weight was a concern and I wasn't sure about different manufactures having different weights, I'll be putting in a set of four, I don't need to be looking for a block.

Cheers,

Dave

Soup

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »
Many years ago I replaced one piston that had a bad wrist pin.  All was well for a short time and then the engine developed a knock.  Rather than run the risk of a catastrophic failure I took the car off the road.  When I finally tore into it I found that another piston had cracked and would have collapsed if run any further.  Bottom line, if one piston needs replacing best to change them all because another one is probably not far behind!

TodFitch

• Full throttle user!
  • 1933 PD Two Door Sedan
    • Plymouth: The First Decade
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 02:42:17 PM »
Been a long time since I was in the market for pistons but it used to be that Egge Machine in Santa Fe Springs (LA metro area) made them for most all applications.

I once attempted to replace a single piston. Maybe it would work if from the same manufacturer, but in my case the single replacement was so wildly different in weight from the others that it would have been impossible to properly balance the engine. So based on that I'd strongly recommend replacing all pistons and rings with a matched set from one supplier.

pb rookie

• Full throttle user!
Piston Woes
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 12:17:16 PM »
Would anyone have a source for a standard sized piston and a complete set of rings for a PB engine? I took the head off mine and there is a small chunk (approx. 1" long and down to the top ring) missing off # three piston, Is this common for these?

Also, Should I be replacing the complete set of pistons instead of just replacing the failed one,

Thanking in advance,

Dave