electronic ignition conversion

Started by Flathead, January 11, 2019, 12:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Fleiter

Hello, 
it is fine You got rid off the contacts problem!
I never had problems with the generator, but lots with the regulator.
Is the "one wire" including a better regulator??
I would than suggest to choose the 50 A or even better the 60 A variety, if You have the choice!
Greetings from Düsseldorf!
Go
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy
  •  

Flathead

I have had the Pertronix unit and their coil along with a new set of wires and took it on a test drive.  So far so good. I am now considering installing a one wire alternator 6V Pos Gnd). Any opinions or suggestions about doing this? I would appreciatte any input. I plan to use the old Cranbrook as much as I can this season and want it to be as bulletproof as possible.
  •  

Flathead

I got an alert message from Pertronix that they had one ready for me so I ordered it along with their "Flame Thrower" coil. I think Delaware was right about making them to order. Thanks to all for the replies and advice
  •  

Go Fleiter

start my 6V car with a second 6V Batt between Starter Solenoid and Starter Motor.
Thus, the starter gets 12 v and spins nicely.
It is unchanged 6V and is still unaffected by this 12 V treatment since 20 years.
This 2nd Batt cannot be loaded by the generator, but lasts reliably for 4 weeks ,
which is the longest holiday travel I may ever face.
For more, the 2 batteries can be swapped if necessary.
In hotels and my garages, both batteries are always under charger control.
Greetings from Germany!
Go
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy
  •  

delaware39

My pertronix unit only lasted about a day. The company is replacing it. It was out of stock, too. Maybe they only build to order, 12V negative ground in my case. I think they are the only game if you want to keep the stock look. I've had my car about three years and gave up on the stock thing after about 3 months. Too many changes before I bought it and more since then. Except for the radials, Ford rims and hub caps, and turn signals, the beast looks reasonable original on the outside. Under the hood is a different matter. I respect your efforts. I hope you have better success.
  •  

Flathead

pertronix is currently out of stock but if and when it comes available I think I'll go for it. Are they the only show in town?
I want to keep mine a stock as possible but I run radials. have an LED third brake light , 3 core radiator and a modern air filter in an original looking can. I too want to be able to run it without worry. I am also considering sending the radio out for an FM conversion and am considering a one wire alternator. I'm keeping it 6V and use an Optima battery.  I have kept all my original parts and it could probably be brought back to stock in a weekend.
  •  

delaware39

I have no idea. I'm pretty sure my starter is designed to 6 V and it seems fine. You can always turn off your lights and radio during the jump, but the fuel gauge may get fried. It's the only really sensitive thing on these old cars.
  •  

Flathead

Great advice, thanks to both of you.
39 brought up an interesting point. How bad is it to jump a 6 V car with a 12 V battery ????
  •  

delaware39

Pertronix's overall reputation is good. Like Go, I am switching to a Pertronix unit because of issues with my traditional points/condenser system. Unlike Go, mine failed right out of the box, so now I have a nonfunctional car. I haven't given up on Pertronix and plan to install a new one. I don't know if this will be an issue for you, I was required to modify the breaker plate (the part that holds the points and condenser) in order to install the module. I didn't know I would have to do this until I received the Pertronix module. My engine is from a 54, but the Auto-Lite distributor is from some other unknown year. You may not need to modify your plate at all; most people don't. Pertronix has ignitors for 6 or 12 volt, positive or negative ground, so you should be able to find whatever you need.

My 39 is a total mutt, with 54 engine, Ford rims, and a host of other improper components. I run a 12 volt GM one-wire alternator. It's fairly easy to install and gives me plenty of current. If I could, I would love to have my car more original, but it's just not going to happen. My car gets driven. Last semester I left my lights on all day at campus and needed a jump. Try finding another car with a 6 volt system.

The 6 vs 12 volt has been argued at length for years. Ultimately, it is up to you. There are 6 volt alternators available, as well as 8 volt. Lots of choices. Go slow and see what is best for you.
  •  

Go Fleiter

My Pertronix 6 V is working perfectly since 1997.
Because of lack of GOOD breakerpoints I put the Pertronix.
I got mine for minus grounded, You may need one for the original plus grounded harness!
You just have 1 more cable to hook- no other modifications needed,  maybe another coil too.
It was the best small improvement, the best big one was George Ashe´s Overdrive!
Greetings from rainy Düsseldorf!
Go
  •  

Flathead

I m considering converting the traditional distributor points in for 6V electronic ignition on my 51 P23. I am looking at a PerTronix kit.
Any comments or opinions would be welcome.  While I am at it, what do you think of a wire alternator vs the traditional generator.  I want to keep things reasonable stock but I also want it to be a dependable driver.

Thanks
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk