Bumper Hook

Started by Flathead, December 06, 2018, 01:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wm Steed

Go.. Bumper jacks were a very common item stating in the 1940's through the 1960's, with the advent of tubeless tires, flat tires became a thing of the past.
The bumper type jacks are very safe if used per the directions, which include blocking the wheels and being on flat ground.
Never had a problem with damage to a bumper if the jack is used per the instructions.. Of course it is best to slightly loosen the lug nuts before jacking the car up. Wm.
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe
  •  

Go Fleiter

Fine that You got one!
I have one like this https://www.duden.de/_media_/full/W/Wagenheber-201020518505.jpg
for real use.
Once using it for a rear wheel change, the car fell off it because i didn´t put chocks to the front wheels.
The wheel was still on, and I could straighten the jack  to use it again...

With the car came this one (left of the Samsonites):
[attachment id=0 msg=19221]
I never dared to use it because of the instruction label:
[attachment id=1 msg=19221]

I didn´t want to put my bumpers to a risk...
Greetings from Düsseldorf!
Go
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy
  •  

Flathead

I received the jack and it was in very good shape but needed a little tweaking.   I've been waiting for a nice sunny day and a frozen driveway to really check it out.  I did try it out in my cramped garage and lifted the car about six inches. I want to put a rubber surface on the hook first to keep from marring the bumper. It folds up nicely and is easy to stow in the trunk. I'll send pictures when I can it get it outside.
  •  

delaware39

Let us know what you think when you get a chance to test it (hopefully you won't actually need to test it, if you know what I mean).
  •  

Flathead

I have had no luck in finding the right hook for my jack but my search led me to this on ebay:

Vintage Working HAND CRANK TRIPOD 3-Legged BUMPER Car Truck JACK

I wanted something from the same era that would be functional and safe. From what I heard these three legged jacks are very stable.  We'll see
  •  

Flathead

I sent them a request,
Thank you
  •  

POC-Admin

Try Wildcat auto  wrecking in Oregon.

They have a huge inventory of old Mopar's

https://www.wildcatmopars.com/

Live long and prosper!
My real name is Mark Olson
  •  

Flathead

Anyone out there know where I could find a hook for my bumper jack? I have a 51 Plymouth Cranbrook.
Thanks
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk