Author Topic: 39 Plym. Conv. Coupe  (Read 18951 times)

TodFitch

• Full throttle user!
  • 1933 PD Two Door Sedan
    • Plymouth: The First Decade
Re: 39 Plym. Conv. Coupe
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2019, 03:58:57 PM »
I think that is on all posts now. Gives a person a button to press if they become upset with your posting for some reason. I'm not a moderator here so I don't know exactly what happens if the button is pressed. But with the traffic on this forum and the lack, so far, of animosity displayed by anyone here, it would surprise me if the "report this post" button has been used much.

Wm Steed

• Internet Region Group (Paid $$$)
  • Full throttle user!
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2019, 02:18:26 PM »
I just noted that a notation to "report this post" and remove, has recently been added to my recent postings to this topic.. What is going on, did I step on someones toes?... Wm.
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe

Wm Steed

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »
A tread was recently started on the POC Facebook forum about a 38 Plym conv cpe that the owner is looking for parts to restore the car. He really has his work cut out for him.. The body on the '38 is in far worst shape than mine was.. Wm.
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe

Wm Steed

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2018, 12:21:03 PM »
39 Plym being retrieved from the open field in '96..Wm
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe

Wm Steed

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2018, 12:11:36 PM »
Looking back through my early postings to this topic I noted that there are hardly any pix attached to any of my comments. Since the forum is now a lot more user friendly I think I'll up-date things a bit.
The attached pix was taken when I found the '39 sitting in an open field in Montana where it had sat for over 38 years.. I must have been nuts to gather that car up, most of my friends were. Wm
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:13:25 PM by Wm Steed »
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe

Wm Steed

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2018, 03:30:09 PM »
Low and behold I was able to back track and found my 39 Plym Conv. Coupe topic.  I'll have to see if I can print off the topic so I can ad it to my hard files. Wm
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe

Wm Steed

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2017, 03:04:57 PM »
I have to agree with GO' and Todd about Facebook, it is just to public and open for me.. Because of my g kids, and a few friends, I am on FB, however I delete most of the posting there-in because I don't care for all of the political nonsense, etc.
The photo program part of FB is a nice feature, however, since the speed on the POC has been improved, I can now post pix to the POC without having to go through a long drawn out process.. Wm 
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe

TodFitch

• Full throttle user!
  • 1933 PD Two Door Sedan
    • Plymouth: The First Decade
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2017, 12:02:48 PM »
Go, face book is safe enough and it gets lots of use my friend, the POC site there is fantastic,  you are missing out on a lot by not being on the POC face book page, take my word for it

I think you should reconsider my friend,
Bob

Don't do Facebook and I am trying to avoid Google, etc. I feel no need to volunteer any more information than I have to about myself to companies whose business model is basically for for profit spying.

RC Drown

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2017, 11:44:25 AM »
Go, face book is safe enough and it gets lots of use my friend, the POC site there is fantastic,  you are missing out on a lot by not being on the POC face book page, take my word for it

I think you should reconsider my friend,
Bob

Go Fleiter

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »
nice to see You back.
This forum lost nearly all of its traffic because of slowing down too much.
All of the members are gione to Face book or other Ply sites.
I don?t like both alternatives.
And nice to see Your 39 beauty again!
Greetings from D?sseldorf!
Go
Living in D?sseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 2 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like :travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply, :My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad :Prototype PennsyRR :50ties stuff :Italy

Wm Steed

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2017, 12:34:01 PM »
I recently made a contribution to the forum that I was "Back" from my unplanned absence from the plymouth bulletin.
My last addition to this topic left off with the '39 awaiting completion of the upholstery and top, both of which are now done.
I am going to make additions to my topic about the '39 Plym Conv. Coupe covering the rebuilding of the car and the nuances associated with that process: Wm.
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe

Wm Steed

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2013, 11:57:55 AM »
I wish that I could report that the interior and convertible top on my Plym is done and that I could finally enjoy an "all weather car"... Wrong.. My car has been in the upholstery shop since early March, progress has been made, however, about like "molasses in January"..
For the life of me I cannot understand why body men and upholsters have such terrible work habits.. I have always thought that body/paint men sniffed to much paint fumes, maybe the glue that upholsters use has the same effect..
I threatened to take my car out of the upholstery shop in early May because of no progress.. I was assured that I would see great progress in the following weeks.. I did for about two weeks, then everything stopped while a set of dinning room chairs was recovered with natural steer hide... Yes.. with the hair and all of the brown/white patterns still on the hides...
I have to admit that the man is really doing a nice job.. He uses 1/8" black ABS panels for all of his backing, this will insure that moisture will not infiltrate into the backing material, like the old paper based backing material, which causes the panels to warp, etc., over time.
I covered the entire floor pan and body panels with "Road-Kill" sound deadening material, prior to the start of the upholstery work...
I decided last week that life is to short to get all up tight about the lack of progress... After all it's taken fourteen years to get the car to the point it is, whats a few more weeks.... Bill 
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe

Wm Steed

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »
Now that I am closer to the end of the restoration on my '39, finishing up the upholstery and putting the convertible top on, a whole new set of problems have cropped up.
We took the belt-line tack strip off of the body prior to doing the paint work.. Did not want yuck bleeding out from under the metal tack strip and thereby staining the paint and/or top material..
Nothing on a DCPD car is simple.. The original tack strip material is some kind of a treated paper like material.. Of course after being exposed to the elements for over 60 years the material was junk. It took some doing to open the crimped edges of the channel up to remove the old material. It was a welcomed surprise to find that the steel channel was in good shape, only requiring bead blasting and paint. I found a plastic tack strip material, 3/16 x 3/4, installed it into the channel and crimped the edge over using a body hammer backed up with an anvil. I installed the restored strip back on the body using 3/16"x 1/2 pop rivets...
The rumble seat cushions have been put away since 1998, they still had fabric on them.. Removing the fabric revealed that the most of the seat assembly was badly rusted out from exposure to water that infiltrates into the rumble area as a result of the poor drainage that is typical of all rumble seat equipped vehicles.
Checking with several sources drew a blank for new cushions.. Doing several searches on the internet finally turned up Snyder's Antique Auto Parts in Springfield, Ohio.. Snyder's has a seat spring department.. Naturally there main business is Ford, A's and V8's.. Since the rumble area in the Plymouths is very similar to the '35-39 Fords, my weather seals are for a '35-39 Ford rumble seat.. I figured I could use the Ford springs.... Wrong again, close but no cookie..
I am shipping my spring cushions to Snyder's so they can use them as patterns to make new ones for my car.. I have instructed Snyder's to hang onto my cushions for use as templates in-case someone else needs new seats for a '37-39 DCPD vehicle.. I know of three people around the country, and one in Australia that are currently restoring '38-39 Plym rumble seat vehicles..
I am having to pay a setup charge for my cushions because Snyder's has never seen a '37-39 DCPD rumble seat.. They have made front/rear seat spring assemblies.. The shop foreman made mention to me that the front seat for a '39 is as large as a small couch.. I agree.. They kind of over power the whole front seat area, especially in the front, that's why I discarded my front seat in favor of buckets. 
I could have opted to try and adapt something from another vehicle for use in the rumble area, that is what my upholster suggested, I passed on the lame suggestions, with all the money and time I have wrapped up in the restoration of my car, this is not the time to cut corners.... Bill
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe

Go Fleiter

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »
Mercedes on most convertibles uses "Sonnenland" multiple layer heavy quality.
I didn?t want at first because I liked the old simple fabric very much.
As work costs were most of the top price, they convinced me to order Sonnenland.
It is really a fine quality, 3 years old it has nearly the color and patina of the old one.
Living in D?sseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 2 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like :travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply, :My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad :Prototype PennsyRR :50ties stuff :Italy

Wm Steed

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »
The top material that we are using on my '39 is actually the material for a Mercedes top in lieu of the more common canvas type of material.. I opted for the Mercedes type of fabric because it is a heavier fabric, and has a nicely finished back side. The color of the fabric is a dark tan to blend in with the saddle brown leather and the British Racing Green paint.
I know, my '39 is a Plymouth, not a Mercedes, but then again, Mercedes owned Chrysler for several years, so it's all in the family..
Go,.. It looks like your top shop tried their best to correct "their mistake" on your top, of course if they would have done the job right the first time, there would have been no need to redo the work... I still hear my father telling me... " If you can't find the time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find the time to redo the job?".... Bill   
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe