Throttle sticking

Started by Gary Vickery, August 22, 2018, 10:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Vickery

Guys, I learned a lesson about assuming things.  I had assumed my problem was not the return spring.  Finally I went to NAPA and found an assorted set of springs, and after some cutting to the right length, my "sticking throttle" is cured.  I feel kind of like a dope.  But it sure is easier to drive, not having to pull the gas pedal back with my toe!
49 Plymouth (long ago)
35 Plymouth PJ Deluxe
  •  

CHS

Your problem seems to be when the car is standing still. I had a similar problem but only when driving the car accelerating or making a turn. Turns out the motor mounts were bad. Never had the problem after replacing them.
  •  

Bill Davis

Is it possible to remove the accelerator pedal linkage and just have the carb and return spring in the equation ?
If so, does the carb return to idle ?  I would start at the carb and work toward the accelerator pedal to see what is binding.
Start at the carb with a return spring and add pieces back to the accelerator pedal until you find the bind.
-Bill Davis, Killen,AL
1951 Plymouth P-23 Cambridge 4 door
  •  

Gary Vickery

When I depress the gas pedal on my 35 PJ and release it, it does not return to idle.  I have to slip my toe under the gas pedal and pull it back up.  It's not like I have a lot of spare hands and feet at intersections and corners.  I replaced my carb, and that is when the issue surfaced.  I have tried lubricating all the linkage, and shortened the return spring, but nothing helps.  It sure looks like the linkage was replaced just like with the old carb.  What am I missing?  Seems like I should be looking at the carb, but I don't see anything wrong.
49 Plymouth (long ago)
35 Plymouth PJ Deluxe
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk