1950 Plymouth Deluxe P 20 wheels valve stem holes

Started by ol-nobull, November 15, 2018, 01:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ol-nobull

Jimmie Price-Yoakum Texas - 1950 Plymouth Deluxe 4 door & 1946 Chevrolet Sport Coupe 
If it is not an inline 6 it's just a passing fad!
  •  

Bill Davis

Jimmie,
I found the part number for these brass valve stems with the oval seals.
It looks like they are available from several sources.  The part number is TR-501-OV

-Bill Davis, Killen,AL
1951 Plymouth P-23 Cambridge 4 door
  •  

Bill Davis

Jimmie,

Sorry my wheels are so nasty, but I went out to the garage to try to get some dimensions for you.
I run full wheel covers.  These were installed in about late 2002.  I have heard that tire shops that
service big trucks will have these.  The oval washer is about 1 3/16" at the widest part.  The wrench
size of the nut is 9/16", so the threaded part of the valve stem must be about 1/2"  The shaft of the
valve stem (where the cap screws on is about 3/8".  I hope this help you. [attachment id=0 msg=19202]
-Bill Davis, Killen,AL
1951 Plymouth P-23 Cambridge 4 door
  •  

Go Fleiter

I got "Valve Stem covers" from Andy Bernbaum´s some years ago.
Fitting them over the tube´s  valve stems and having a relatively large base,
they prevent the big hubcaps to rotate more than a coulple of mm.
When taking the covers off, the stems are inclinated max. 10 degrees.
This is working without trouble since the 90ies.

They told me to stay with tubes even in tubeless tires.
An oval hole for the valve would not be a problem.
Greetings from Düsseldorf!
Go
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy
  •  

Flathead

I have a 51.  I had to put tubes in my radials, The valve stems conflicted with the full hubcaps that tended to rotate and make contact. One actually sheared off the stem causing a blowout. . I  switched to dog dish hubcaps and have not had any issues since.  The radials made a huge difference in handling.
  •  

ol-nobull

Hi.   I picked up  my 50 Deluxe P 20 this summer and have had it in the shop taking care of a few mechanical & safety issues.  Just got it back on the road yesterday.   Recently I had a set of the Coker American Classic tubeless radials installed and they said they could not install new valve stems as they did not have the correct ones. This was because the valve stem holes in the rims was not round and instead are all oval holes and all the tire shop had were the push in like most cars use.   The wheels have the mechanical ones that are two part and are tightened down by a wrench.   
What was the purpose of the oval holes in the wheels?   I see where I can order these valve stems and need to know which diameter I need.  The old ones in the wheels are holding air but I just prefer new stems when I get new tires if for no other reason than preventive maintenance.   
I am just a member of this Forum and not the POC but will be sending in the membership form this week as I can now get the engine & body #'s they want on the application form.   The only magazine I have has been one previous owner gave me when I purchased the car and this magazine is from 2011.
Thanks,  Jimmie   
Jimmie Price-Yoakum Texas - 1950 Plymouth Deluxe 4 door & 1946 Chevrolet Sport Coupe 
If it is not an inline 6 it's just a passing fad!
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk