Author Topic: '28 Model Q Roadster  (Read 186 times)

28 Ply.cpe

• Full throttle user!
Re: '28 Model Q Roadster
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 10:20:12 AM »
The shafts should be fine.  It just depends how the car was driven in its previous ownership. The transmission does not have syncronizers and you can not downshift between gears unless you are rolling with clutch in and are slowing untill gears mesh just perfect. Then apply the gas. You will almost have to stop to get back into 1st gear.  My Plymouth in the early 60's was hot rodded by my brother and he split the transmission case from the front shaft to the rear shaft wide open. Then the long hunt was on for another transmission.  Now I barely drive the car but keep extra parts for the future of the car.  Check the teeth on your gears to make sure they are not chipped or missing teeth just in case someone did hot rod your car. Not likely. You should be good with just new seals and new oil. The oil you see coming from the bell housing is probably the back rope seal at the crankshaft. You will be pulling the transmission to check it, now look at the back of the engine and see if the seal is leaking.

Betty Boop

• First Gear
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 07:35:50 AM »
Many thanks for your helpful suggestions. A good clean out and seals may well be the way to go as it will never be like new again. Are the input / output shafts likely to be badly grooved? Same question for the crank rear oil seal. A fair amount of oil loss from the bottom of the bell housing but no clutch slip. Thanks.

28 Ply.cpe

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 06:07:51 AM »
Thanks for coming to the Plymouth Owners Club site. It took me a long time to find a spare trans for my 28 coupe. I do have a couple people in mind with spares. Don't know if they will part with them. You could also check the Maxwell site and the Chrysler Model 65 parts on E Bay or other auction sites. They are the same transmission for that year. If yours is running fine, I would just take the time to
pull it apart and redo the seals and clean it out. It will last you the rest of the life of the car. Hope this helps.

Betty Boop

• First Gear
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »
Thanks, Go Fleiter.

I've tried those and also MOPAR but everything seems to be against me. Archive material for Windsor built cars is pretty well non-existent to the extent that even with its original serial and engine numbers I'm unable to confirm the actual build date. The nearest I can deduce is July 1928. I know it pre-dates some in museums and is possibly the oldest original car still in regular use (fine weather only!). Anyone else out there with similar problems and / or answers?

The gearbox is ok but after all these years could do with replacement seals. It would make sense to recondition the box at the same time but I'd prefer to source a spare one to recon rather than hit showstoppers with the original unit. I have the original owners / workshop manual and parts list but guess I'll have to keep on looking, risk it or leave it as it is.

All other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks again.

Go Fleiter

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 05:18:26 AM »
well,
this is the appropriate space to look for parts:
https://www.plymouthowners.club/talk/index.php/board,14.0.html

Sadly, nearly all of the patronage of this once very active forum has gone lost
because of severe technical deterioration. Now, this matter solved,
they found their places and don´t come back.

Try http://p15-d24.com/forum/4-p15-d24-forum/

Beeing mainly for Sixes, maybe You get at least an Adress for 4- Bangers.
I´m not familiar with its structure, so I nearly don´t  use it.

The ex- members here went nearly all to Facebook.

Maybe You find help at Hemmings motor news, if it still provides a forum.
Good Luck!
Greetings from Düsseldorf!
Go
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 05:19:13 AM by Go Fleiter »
Living in D?sseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 2 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like :travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply, :My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad :Prototype PennsyRR :50ties stuff :Italy

Betty Boop

• First Gear
'28 Model Q Roadster
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 01:39:05 PM »
Hi. Just registered. Where do I start looking for a spare 3 speed trans? Thanks.