Rear axle drive bearing oil hole plug

Started by SpecialD, July 11, 2018, 03:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

36splodge

If you are referring to the outboard axle bearings you can remove the plugs and screw in a zerk for the lube job. You don't want to use much as the only outlets for the grease are the inner and outer seals and you don't want to blow those out. You may want to put the plugs back in so that  someone else that gets under your car doesn't over fill them during a service.  The manual states that they only need grease at 15,000 mile intervals!
When I took the rear end out of my 36 coupe to look at the ring and pinion there was a lot of grease gobs in the case, but that is better than having it blow out through the outer seals and onto your brakes. When I initially greased those bearing I did it with the hubs off to see that the grease worked its way into the entire bearing and cup.
Have owned 3 Plymouths, the first 2 were just cars.....
  •  

SpecialD

Thank you!
The car is actually a 1941 P12.
Fat fingers.
  •  

POC-Admin

From a lubrication chart I have, it just says "remove plug and add 1/2 oz of Wheel Bearing Grease, do not over lubricate."  A tube of grease might work the best or simply use a grease gun stuck in the hole.
Live long and prosper!
My real name is Mark Olson
  •  

SpecialD

Greetings,
I purchased a 1942 Special Deluxe, and I noticed the axle drive bearing oil hole plug.
Can someone tell me its purpose, and how I can lubricate the bearing?
Thank you.
As you can see, I am very much a beginner to restoration.
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk