Author Topic: New here. Looking for help with a 56 Plymouth Suburban Custom  (Read 336 times)

DanielReeve78

• First Gear
Re: New here. Looking for help with a 56 Plymouth Suburban Custom
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 05:32:02 PM »
The information I gave you came from my  Plymouth service manual. Since the number is on the front block and not on top I would say it is a 277. (I am not an expert). Since it starts with P29 you know it is an orignal engine to the car.

Awesome, thanks!

CHS

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
  • 1955 Plymouth Belvedere
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 12:30:22 PM »
The information I gave you came from my  Plymouth service manual. Since the number is on the front block and not on top I would say it is a 277. (I am not an expert). Since it starts with P29 you know it is an orignal engine to the car.

DanielReeve78

• First Gear
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 07:06:19 PM »
Hopefully the picture shows. So on the face of the engine block, drivers side, I found P29-223841. If I’m reading this right, it’s the 277 Cu In?

CHS

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
  • 1955 Plymouth Belvedere
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 11:54:55 AM »
In 1956 They either had a 6 cylinder if this is the case above the generator on the front of the engine block should have a vin number starting with P28. If it is an 8 cylinder Hy-Fire the number is located in top of the engine at the front next to the oil filler pipe. If it has a 200 hp Hy-Fire the nyumber is locatedon the left front face of the cylinder block. The 8 cylinder is known as a P 29 either a 270 or 277 cu.in .

RC Drown

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 05:56:34 AM »
looking on the driver's side of the front of the block should be a flat area with the engine # stamped in it.  I am taking it for granted that it is a flat head six, if not, then I can't help you

DanielReeve78

• First Gear
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 10:03:17 PM »
Anyone know how I figure out what engine it has?

DanielReeve78

• First Gear
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 05:51:14 PM »
Thanks, Bob! The Radiator is actually not there. Not sure where it went. The reason I need a new generator is because the threaded hole where you bolt down to the bracket to tension the belt is half snapped off. I suppose I could get that fixed but I’m thinking a new one would just be easier.

Thanks for the tip on the wiring harness, I’ll definitely look them up!

RC Drown

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 06:12:11 AM »
I am in the same boat as you, know enough to dangerous LOL, but I have owned a 1940 Plymouth business coupe (driver) for thirty years, Have the radiator checked and it might only need a good cleaning and flushing, the batter you can get at any good auto parts store,  again check the generator, it could just need cleaning also and the wiring harness you can go to Rhode Island Wiring, A good auto electric shop should be able to take care of your generator,  NAPA and again other good auto parts stores will have plugs, points and such.  These old flatheads come back to life rather easy
Good luck,
Bob

DanielReeve78

• First Gear
New here. Looking for help with a 56 Plymouth Suburban Custom
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 11:25:02 PM »
Hi all. As the title said, I’m looking for some info on a 56 Plymouth Suburban Wagon Custom that I’m trying to get running for my cousin. It’s sat in a garage in Richmond, CA for about 30 years. Some rust but I’m only concerned with getting the engine to run. My main question is how to determine which engine it has. I know for sure I need a Generator, Radiator, Battery, and wiring harness. If anyone has info on where I can find those I would greatly appreciate the help!

I’m no mechanic. I know enough to get myself in and out of trouble most times. So fingers crossed, I’ll get it going.

Thanks!