Author Topic: 1950 Plymouth hubcaps on non stock wheels  (Read 395 times)

Go Fleiter

• Full throttle user!
Re: 1950 Plymouth hubcaps on non stock wheels
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 07:19:24 AM »
Any source for a set of separate beauty rings plus dog dishes for
original wheels??
I too have the rotating problem, but the stem covers hold on until now!
Greetings from Düsseldorf!
Go
Living in D?sseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 2 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like :travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply, :My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad :Prototype PennsyRR :50ties stuff :Italy

Flathead

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 08:52:45 PM »
I tried everything to keep the full size caps on and gave up. The caps rotated while driving and one actually sheared off a valve stem causing a blowout. Luckily I was close to home. They do have valve stem protectors, metal sleeves, available but I switched to dog dish. I think I like the way they look anyway. Anybody wanta deal on a set of full size caps?

Wm Steed

• Internet Region Group (Paid $$$)
  • Full throttle user!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
I don't believe that the older generation of drivers remember how problematic the full size clinch-on wheel covers were. Generally they were not a problem during city driving, well that is, except on hard turns that involved a rough road surface.   
Myself I prefer the "dog dish" style of hubcap with beauty rings on the wheels.. Wm.
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe

Go Fleiter

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 08:02:21 AM »
I too am late...
my Hubcaps fell off 3 times, twice in sight of the shop-
once on the way home from there at 75 mph on the Autobahn.
Luckyly it had not hit any car nor killed a bike driver ...
This time the cap was wrinkled to only shop decoration use.
  My friend Tom now refuses to put them back after any wheel related servicing
and puts them into the trunk :))

This was the 3.rd loss 2014:

The caps fit strongly WHEN- back on the hub- they result gap free!
This needs strong beats with the heel of the hand or a rubber hammer.

I never lost them in a curve
but or braking or because of the vibration at hi speed.

Greetings!
Go
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:10:11 AM by Go Fleiter »
Living in D?sseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 2 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like :travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply, :My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad :Prototype PennsyRR :50ties stuff :Italy

Wm Steed

• Internet Region Group (Paid $$$)
  • Full throttle user!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »
Bob,
I know my contribution to your topic is a little stale, in any case I'll ad my thoughts.
I would suggest that you not attempt to "glue" the caps on, you might not be able to get them off when the silicon cures.
I would suggest that you reposition the attaching "teeth" on the hubcap so they get a good bite onto the wheel. A little work with a pair of pliers, or a plastic mallet could really make a big difference. The full wheel hubcaps are famous for coming off on sharp turns. Wm.
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe

CHS

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
  • 1955 Plymouth Belvedere
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 12:38:00 PM »
Looks Good Bob. If the wheel covers fit on tight I don't think it will be a problem. If you can pull them off by hand, then I would use silicone.

RC Drown

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
1950 Plymouth hubcaps on non stock wheels
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 11:27:52 AM »
Last summer I got a heck of a buy on some non stock wheels for my Plymouth, I like the look very much, but I am thinking of adding some stock 15" 1950 Plymouth hub caps to the wheels.  I have test fitted them and they fit fine, but I was wondering if they will fall off when I make turns an such that would make the tires conform to the turns?  If that is so, what do you guys think of adding GE Silicone II to the noon, three, six and nine areas on each wheel before I actually put the hub caps on?