'39 Plymouth

Started by Buddy, August 10, 2011, 09:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Thank you guys, we were talking this morning that maybe there was a shortage of square lenses since it was a one year style.

Thank you again...   Buddy..
  •  

Wm Steed

All of the '39 Plym's had the very stylish rectangle shaped headlights. Starting with the 1940 models, all NEW VEHICLES were equipped with sealed beam headlights. Vehicles manufactured prior to the '40 models did not have to be retrofitted with the sealed beam headlights.
Many people found the sealed beam lights to be far superior to the earlier reflector type lights. After market accessory manufactures, a couple of which were ARROW & CASCO, very quickly saw a market for retrofit sealed beam conversions. The ARROW conversions are generally the most desirable for the '39 Plym's because they incorporated a parking light into the upper part of the trim bezel, which is somewhat similar to the 1940/41 Plym look.
When some mechanics did the conversion on the '39' Plym's they removed the entire headlight assembly, including the headlight bucket. Unfortunately the removal of the bucket exposed the rear portion of the sealed beam assembly to a lot of abuse from road rash. As a general rule only the lens, reflector retainer ring and reflector needed removal. The new conversion was wired into the existing wiring harness, the new bezel/headlight was installed. Some mechanics wired a power relay in the system which provided better amp's to the lights and therefore brighter lights.
My '39 convertible had been converted to the ARROW brand of sealed beams... During the restoration process I was looking for the original reflector style of headlights. After gathering what I thought was the correct parts, to my dismay I found out that there are two styles of trim bezels for the '39's, early and late.. i.e. single screw and two screws, I also found out that there is left and right to the trim bezels..... No one that sold me parts alerted me to this anomaly.
Fortunately for me a listing came up on eBay by a guy in Conn. that had found a complete set of '39 headlights, including the wiring harness in his grandfathers barn. The bezels were the two screw type for a late series car. The parts were not NOS, however, by their looks they had most likely been removed from a car shortly after the sealed beam conversions became available.......    I paid dearly for the headlight assemblies.... Bill   
39 Plym. Conv. Coupe
  •  

bigaadams

this was an aftermarket modification according to chatter I have seen elsewhere on this subject..it had to do with the round headlight become industry standard in 1939 and lot of these cars were retrofitted to meet these requirement..or just to look a bit newer..who knows...it was not to my knowledge a mandatory change, some folks thought it would be when the law first came out..could have been a market ploy to sell conversion kits..I am not sure if this kit was available through the dealer ships as a filed change..if so, then it would be correct..though most may argue that..
  •  

Buddy

My brother in law emailed a painting from a local artest in east Tennessee of the front of a '39 plymouth.  I emailed back that I felt it was incorrect because it did not have square headlights.  Where there Plymouth cars with round headlights in '39?
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk