'32 Priming oil pump

Started by cccj, July 11, 2008, 03:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmo

CCCJ   thats the way all the old time mechanics and engine recoditioners did it except to make it easier they removed all the spark plugs first to make the engine turn over faster ,( a freshly reconed engine will be tight and hard to turn over ) then once the oil pressure was up they replaced the plugs .  Rex
  •  

cccj

Thank you for the help, that's exactly what we will do.  Too late for vaseline, however, I may consider for the next one.  Thanks Again, Chad
  •  

JimCno

When I rebuilt my engine, I did just as Todd did and just turned the engine over until  I saw the oil pressure come up. I also had pre lubed the bearings.
  •  

darren

I second the use of vasoline... IF one had or can get a oil pressure tank that would be "the best" you wold remove a oil line connect it and the tank would have shop low pressure in it and once u open the valve would go to all the openings as if it was running! ... "the best " My  first engine rebuilt on a 1938 DeSoto in a garage behind my parents house I leaned  that they have to be packed with Vaseline , my  engine would not build oil pressure till I did.. good -luck
  •  

Bill James

This my start some controversy ::) but I was tought many years ago to pack an oil pump with vaseline. Supposedly this would fill the space between the pump gears and create a vacum to pull the oil into the pump. It always works for me. Now does the vaseline mix with modern oils??? Bill James
  •  

TodFitch

My solution was to spin the engine over with a starter with the spark plugs removed until I saw pressure on the dash gauge. I figured that the assembly lube would be sufficient to protect the bearings until that happened especially with no load.
  •  

cccj

I'm restoring a 1932 Plymouth PB and am about done with the chassis.  As I am close to first starting the engine after a rebuild, my question is what is a reliable way to ensure that the oil pump is primed?

Thx, Chad
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk