Author Topic: 2008 national meet? Grand National?  (Read 6797 times)

oldmopar

• Full throttle user!
    • oldmopar
Re: 2008 national meet? Grand National?
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »
I am not in favor of a online version the way the world is going I see it as one step to another electronic publication. I actually enjoy reading a magazine and it would just more headaches to set maintain and cost more. You are also going to run into copyright problems once it is on the internet anyone can copy anything.   The current price of $26.00 is much less then a tank of gas for the hard copy. So you can count me as to one opposed to the online version.

49plymouthclubcoupe

• Internet Region Group (Paid $$$)
  • Full throttle user!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 09:21:10 AM »
Mark, thanks for the follow up.? ?It's much appreciated.? ? So, my thoughts on your comments.

1.? I vote (one vote) to bring the Bulletin on-line as well as in hardcopy.? ?I still like the hardcopy version alot.? ?I think its a great magazine and I do save them all and read them all.? ?I guess I'm old fashion that way.? ?But, I also have a pile of magazines of all other sorts laying around my house that should get recycled suggesting that qn e-magazine option (for other magazines as well) would help my clutter a little and would certainly save "trees".? ?I for one believe the time has come to give serious consideration to an online option as well.? ?Heck, I would use both versions of the POC magazine myself!

2.? As to liability.? I agree that you would have to set the system up correctly but I can't imagine that there isn't someone out there in our Plymouth world who hasn't done that.? ?Someone with the proper knowledge would be willing to help out for little or no cost if design or cost is an issue.? And, I would guess both are to some important degree.? And, I don't think we are talking an entire e-commerce site at all....but ultimately that would be the way to go.? ? Bring your back issue sales on-line and pull together a small product line available to anyone with the $$$ to buy a Plymouth product at a profit to the club of course.? 
?
I've maintained a PayPal account for years for my eBay sales and have never had a problem that couldn't be sorted out easily.? ?Now, I realize that's not the same as running an organization's membership program but it has involved hundreds of PayPal transactions (and there are other vendors out there for sure) successfully.? ? You are simply selling a product here....a membership.? ?It would seem that you just need to collect the information on the individual and his/her money and then make sure that the information on the new sale gets to whomever needs it to put them on the membership roll.? ?Let the membership side of the organization get the new membership info and let the finance side of the organization bank and invest the cash.   

3.? Extra cost to transact online? ........... I'll pay for the convenience.? ?On a $30 membership that's about a buck to a buck and a half max.? ?Add it on as a convenience fee.? It's worth it to be able to make the payment that easy....at least for me.? ?I'm sure others would do the same.   ?

4.? Credit Cards.....entirely foreign world to me.? ?I don't know how those on-line transactions actually occur so I would say .... yes .... find someone whose done this one before and do it right.? ? ?I for one probably wouldn't use a credit card to pay.? I really don't care to have one more vendor out there with one of my credit card numbers in their files.? The PayPal type transaction is so easy and safe I would chose to do it that way.?

Anyway...just some thoughts from one member Mark.? ?They are ideas....that's all they are.? ?

John
Colorado

John - Colorado
1949 Plymouth Club Coupe Special Deluxe
1949 Plymouth Club Coupe Deluxe
1949 Plymouth 4-door Sedan Special Deluxe

POC-Admin

• Administrator
  • Full throttle user!
    • Turbinecar.com
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 12:25:45 AM »
I would like the on-line version of the Bulletin - not my call however.  Club has to decide if it is ok.  I would say to post Bulletins (pdf form) two months after the paper are sent out.  The paper one would have the user ID and password inside it to let you access the on-line version, I think that would work.

On the on-line dues payment, we have the necessary security certificate etc.  Just I don't know how to set it up and I don't want the club to be liable for any potential fraud that could result from doing it wrong.

Paypal might be the easiest way or Google-checkout or both.  Problem with all of those, they cost extra money - about 3 - 4 percent to use them.

All on-line credit card transactions have to be done right or not at all.

Mark
Live long and prosper!
My real name is Mark Olson

Ed_Ungerman

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
    • Photobucket/Lakota169
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 11:49:27 PM »
We will be remembered by the tracks we leave behind.

1937 Plymouth Business Coupe
2005 Dodge Hemi Magnum
2000 Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T

nydak

• Full throttle user!
  • 40 an 49 Conv.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 07:27:11 AM »
I noticed the regional link does not list the host hotel. Anyone know what hotel it is ?

plym_46

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
  • 2nd owner of 46 deluxe bizzy coupe
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 10:23:08 AM »
Thanks to Ed for posting the link to the Detroit (Host Region's) site for the information on the "National".  A similar post and link in the Events section would be a good idea also.  So without further ado, I will copy paste the link there.  Maybe just maybe some "Interested parties and perhaps potential member" might see it and make a National their 1st event.

Sheeeesh!!!!

Exposure might be another way to cultivate interest, interest might just lead to more members.

nydak

• Full throttle user!
  • 40 an 49 Conv.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 08:10:49 AM »
I do like the idea of an online version of the Mag. Would be easy and cheap to distribute plus get here in a more timely fashion. I agree a menber only area would be good too.

No question we need to be aware of the fact that without menbers and their dues there is no club.

49plymouthclubcoupe

• Internet Region Group (Paid $$$)
  • Full throttle user!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 06:23:20 PM »
Pete, I like that idea.....an e-version of the POC magazine would save postage AND it would make it easier to update and maintain an electronic file of back issues as well.    It sounds as if they have pretty much all been moved to DVD...which is great news.   

On a related note....to memberships that is.....It would be great to be able to pay dues on-line as well.....I don't think we can do that yet....but I could be wrong.   
John - Colorado
1949 Plymouth Club Coupe Special Deluxe
1949 Plymouth Club Coupe Deluxe
1949 Plymouth 4-door Sedan Special Deluxe

Ed_Ungerman

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
    • Photobucket/Lakota169
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 02:21:46 PM »
For info, go here.

www.plymouthclub.org

Detroit Region
We will be remembered by the tracks we leave behind.

1937 Plymouth Business Coupe
2005 Dodge Hemi Magnum
2000 Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T

Blue-Skies

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
    • OldWillysForum
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 12:20:42 PM »
The web site was never meant to replace the Magazine - we have to be reminded of that - members of this web site who do not belong to the club are not supporting the club and they will not get all the benefits that the paid members get.  The club would soon fail if the income generated by memberships was subverted by our own web site.
Mark

Not to add to your workload as webmaster, but perhaps a "Members Only" section of the site is in order?  The Bulletin could be put up online for paid members, thus saving the club money by not mailing the magazine to folks who would rather read it online...

Pete
Willys Discussion forum
www.oldwillysforum.com

POC-Admin

• Administrator
  • Full throttle user!
    • Turbinecar.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 07:23:40 PM »
Just to set things straight, I post what I am asked to post (for the most part, if I can) - I kind of got myself into this job because no one else was going to step up and maintain the web site (at least not for less than $600 a month) - I work for free :)

I will need to work with Lanny and the officers to get copies of the stuff from the Magazine Bulletin that can be put on the web.  The web site was never meant to replace the Magazine - we have to be reminded of that - members of this web site who do not belong to the club are not supporting the club and they will not get all the benefits that the paid members get.  The club would soon fail if the income generated by memberships was subverted by our own web site.

As much as I hate to think about it, maybe I need to add another item to the pages that I should have had there in the first place.  NEWS - so when I get time, I will take all the pages (about 50 right now) and change them so that the Ethel Miller Story is gone and POC NEWS will replace that - Jim's story will end up on the Reference pages.  That would make more sense anyway.  The story had top billing so Jim might get some help (which he did) and found out the rest of the story from people finding the pages.

I have to work with the officers to be sure that we are not doing something that we regret in the long run, Paid POC members make these pages and this discussion board possible - if you don't get the magazine - WHY NOT?

These are my thoughts and not of any of the officers of the club - if they want me to do something different, I will.

Mark
Live long and prosper!
My real name is Mark Olson

nydak

• Full throttle user!
  • 40 an 49 Conv.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 08:17:57 AM »
i do agree it would be nice to have everything on the national meet posted online. I do get the Plymouth Bulletin , but it would still be nice to have one place to go find info on all meets at one place rather than having to dig out various issues .

plym_46

• Proven posts ok.
  • Full throttle user!
  • 2nd owner of 46 deluxe bizzy coupe
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
Apparently like the NC meet, you need to know the secret handshake to get information regarding POC events.  The thought seems to be once its in the newsletter it's a done deal and everyone who needs to know, knows. 

I would think that information of what is billed as a Grand National would get a bit more ink.  As noted not everybody who might be interested gets the National Publication.

Just the fact that you are referred here from the main club website and then find only 2 or three comments fererring you back to the members only publication says volumes about the event.

I mean with cut and paste, how much effort does it take to transfer a word processed document from one media to another.

blueskies

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 01:41:42 PM »
Check the current bulletin #286 Sep-Oct 2007, pages 14-15.

Doran

Any chance you can scan the pages and post them here for folks not getting the bulletin?

Thanks!

Pete

Doran Johnson

• Full throttle user!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 05:38:46 PM »
Check the current bulletin #286 Sep-Oct 2007, pages 14-15.

Doran

tedsweet

• Full throttle user!
2008 national meet? Grand National?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 02:48:35 PM »
Anymore info? Detroit?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 02:56:38 PM by tedsweet »
74 barracuda