Recent posts

Technical Discussion / Re: 1937 Ply P3/P4 ? sedan sla...
Last post by TodFitch - September 28, 2023, 01:36:36 AM
Your serial number indicates it is a P3. On my same website that you link to there is a serial number look up tool at which returns this information in the "1924 through 1974 Mopar Number Decode" tool located on the upper right:
Serial Number   1213305
Found in range   1184001 to 1237460
Serial   29305 of 53460
Year   1937
Make   Plymouth
Model Name   Business
Model Code   P3
Plant   Detroit
Engine   6 cylinder 201.3 L-head
Wheelbase   112 inches

Back in that era Plymouth did not call any of their body styles a "slantback". That is a modern term. The "touring sedan" (two door or four door) had a built in trunk which I am guessing you are calling a "humpback style". The regular plain old "sedan" did not have that style trunk. I am not sure for 1937, but the earlier plain sedans had no trunk at all unless you purchased the bolt on accessory trunk.

A photo of your car might help us tell you if it was a sedan or a touring sedan.

Technical Discussion / 1937 Ply P3/P4 ? sedan slant b...
Last post by KennyG - September 27, 2023, 11:47:59 PM
 A message for Jim Benjaminson, or whomever can assist. On Sept 27, 2023 I submitted a question about a 37 Ply slantback that I had just purchased. Jim sent info dated Sept 28, 2008 stating # of vehicles built, registered vehicles,P3/P4 series, etc.   My ser # is 1213305 body style 911-10992. Is it a P3 or P4? Was it one of 7,926 built, or one of ???? It has a back "hatch" but it is not a humpback style. I checked, and i'm still confused. also I have only seen 3 others like mine. PLEASE HELP.  Thank you,  KennyG
Technical Discussion / Re: Pitman Arm 1933 PD
Last post by pat69 - September 23, 2023, 05:39:58 AM
Does anybody know the diameter of the sector shaft at the toothing for the pitman arm ?
Are there interchangeable pitman arms ?

Regards Patrick
General Discussion / Re: Plymouth's spotted in Indi...
Last post by bcudajoe - September 21, 2023, 07:49:24 PM
I realize this is probably a REAL long shot but if anyone can provide a point of contact or can locate the 65 Plymouth Belvedere station wagon shown in one of the photos from India posted on June 25, 2012 by Subbaiah, please contact me. Thanks very much.
Technical Discussion / Re: Looking for 1937 PT50 Work...
Last post by 1937Firewood - September 18, 2023, 08:55:26 AM
Dang, you are then Man.

Thanks for all your help, i keep thinking about fixing the temp gauge but not sure if i can find a copper sleeve that small.  Temp gauge is not a must have right now, car is drive-able and if it overheats, just pull over and let it cool.
Parts and Paper / 1933 Plymouth Spare Tire Cover...
Last post by Robert4 - September 17, 2023, 07:18:26 PM
Searching for the EMBLEM for the spare tire cover of a 1933 Plymouth Coupe. Do not need the cover, just the emblem.  Thx in advance, Bob.
Technical Discussion / Re: Looking for 1937 PT50 Amp ...
Last post by TodFitch - September 11, 2023, 02:18:52 PM
I don't see the old style fuses on the AutoZone website, but the O'Reilly Auto website shows what I think is correct for your vehicle:
Technical Discussion / Re: Looking for 1937 PT50 Work...
Last post by TodFitch - September 11, 2023, 02:05:37 PM
My email reply to your questions bounced with the message "mailbox unavailable". So here it is (your email questions in bold, my response in plain text:

Asking the expert for info 1937 Plymouth PT50 Woodie
Looking for a part number of the AMP fuse?

The only parts book that I have that mentions the fuses is in the 1936-48 Plymouth parts book. I have photographed the chart and am attaching that.

I strongly believe these are the BUSS style (glass tube) fuses that were commonly used on many applications including cars into the 1960s. I am not sure if the typical automotive fuse was fast acting or delayed. I suspect delayed. Here are links to a possible source of each type:
Fast Acting:
Time Delay:

I don't know which one(s) your PT50 used. On my 1933 Plymouth there is a single 20 amp 1/4" x 1 1/4" fuse on the back of the ammeter. From the chart I have attached that would be Chrysler part 830823 for the package or part 106653 for the single fuse. With higher power headlights than mine, you might have a 30 amp fuse but it is probably the same 1/4" x 1 1/4" physical size.

Where can I find the above AMP fuse?

These used to be available in any hardware store and/or auto supply store. It has been so long since I bought my last set of replacements that I can't remember where I got them. My guess is a hardware store would be more likely nowadays than an auto supply. If your local stores don't have them, the they should be available on line.

Wiring up the AMP gauge, shouldn't be hard but I am stuck on which two wires where to connect to.  Diagrams  shows hot wire from starter 2nd wire to battery?

I don't have a wiring diagram for you car. But typically the lead from the battery came from the starter switch to one terminal on the ammeter. The other terminal of the ammeter has the fuse. If I recall correctly, all the lighting loads in the car and the horn went through the fuse. I believe the lead from the generator connected directly to the other post on the ammeter.

Finding a temp gauge 665098 that doesn't cost $200?

I suspect that a professional repair or a new-old stock (NOS) gauge would fetch at least $200.

I have my original gauge but the tube is broken off, I have both ends which includes the bulb.  I see these are repairable, cheaper than $200?

I believe I answered you on this on one of the antique car forums. I grafted the bulb and capillary tube from a cheap "mechanical" temperature gauge onto the dash unit. My write up of the procedure is at The last time I did it for someone else they were able to buy a suitable gauge from their local auto supply for less than $20. But that was a while ago and it would not surprise me if the cost is higher now. I did my own back in the mid-1990s and the graft is still holding in there and my gauge still reads correctly.

Again, any help would be very much appreciated.

Technical Discussion / Looking for 1937 PT50 Working ...
Last post by 1937Firewood - September 09, 2023, 08:29:23 PM
Looking for a working temp gauge for 1937PT50 Woodie.

Yep, they are available on ebay from $250-$400.  These are out of my price range.

Gauge doesn't have to show perfect just in working order.

Thanks for your time.
Technical Discussion / Looking for 1937 PT50 Amp Gaug...
Last post by 1937Firewood - September 09, 2023, 08:23:54 PM
1st off, what is the part number for this fuse that fits on the back side of the AMP gauge?

2nd.  Where can i buy these fuses?

3rd.  Are these fuses available?

4th.  A picture of a fuse would be very helpful is anyone can share it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk