Plymouth Owners Club

General Category => Technical Discussion => Topic started by: Joel Nystrom on September 25, 2006, 12:43:36 AM

Title: where to get RUBBER FLOOR MAT for '49 convert?
Post by: Joel Nystrom on September 25, 2006, 12:43:36 AM
Hi, I am a new guy here.

I have a 49 Plymouth convert. About 10 years ago, I restored most of the car, but kept the original interior.  But the interior has gotten so bad lately that I am embarassed.  So I have an appointment next month at the upolstery shop to get it all redone, duplicating the original as closely as possible.
Now I want to repalce the floor mat at the same time. Does anyone know where I could find a floor mat? Is anyone reproducing them, or making a similar material that could be used?  It is rubber with ribs.

Thanks, Joel Nystrom
Title: Re: where to get RUBBER FLOOR MAT for '49 convert?
Post by: Joel Nystrom on October 19, 2006, 12:20:48 PM
Anybody???  ???  The car is going in next week.
Title: Re: where to get RUBBER FLOOR MAT for '49 convert?
Post by: 32cabrio on October 19, 2006, 07:44:40 PM
Hi Joel, Please don't get the impression that you are being ignored.  Most will reply if they have an answer to your situation. Since you haven't heard anything, I can only suppose that most of us don't have  the answer. I'm not familiar with your '49 , so I can't give a knowlegeable answer. However, you could try Restoration specialties (Google it) to see if they can help. I hope this helps...
Title: Re: where to get RUBBER FLOOR MAT for '49 convert?
Post by: 49suburban on October 20, 2006, 12:38:59 AM
Joel,

I have been looking for a original pattern front floor mat for my Dodge for 10yr and for my '49 Plymouth for 3 years.  I found one NOS and it was so dried out it was no good.  I have settled for the after market stile from Pat Walsh in Wakefield Mass. 617-246-3266
Title: Re: where to get RUBBER FLOOR MAT for '49 convert?
Post by: Joel Nystrom on October 20, 2006, 02:40:06 PM
Thanks for the replys. :)? I have found a narrow ribbed, jute backed generic floormat, but it is not moulded to fit the hump. Has anyone tried this?? I wonder if it could be made to fit??

(https://www.plymouthowners.club/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi34.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fd137%2FHemiJoel%2Fold%2F49right.jpg&hash=f12faaa1e343b44aaa400a751a25a462d45a186a)
Title: Re: where to get RUBBER FLOOR MAT for '49 convert?
Post by: Go Fleiter on October 21, 2006, 07:18:01 AM
I?m very interested in the floor mat adaptation to the hump too! I have the original, very severly dried out and darnaged floor: any method to "bath" it in latex milk or something?
Greetings! Go
Title: Re: where to get RUBBER FLOOR MAT for '49 convert?
Post by: Go Fleiter on October 21, 2006, 07:37:21 AM
should read "damaged" = is torn at all edges
Title: Re: where to get RUBBER FLOOR MAT for '49 convert?
Post by: Joel Nystrom on November 09, 2006, 02:27:39 PM
Well, the upolsterer just called and said the car is ready to pick up. I can't wait to see it! :D  Since I could not find a correct mat, he found some narrow ribbed rubber and repaired the original. It was mostly damaged in the area where the drivers feet rest. 

I will post some pics after I get the car picked up.l
Title: Re: where to get RUBBER FLOOR MAT for '49 convert?
Post by: lucaboy on November 11, 2006, 01:23:32 AM
Joel, i used a product once for rubber on a 46' ford that i had when i was younger 35 yrs. ago. it was a hit at the time, and could restore rubber to a soft flexable condition, like new. the real use was to restore rubber on offset printing plates. it was called rubber-rejuvinator@  i havent seen it for a while, you may find it in the printing arts buisness or supply. i used it on wiper blades and the cracks actuall seemed to heal !  kind of like utter cream for your hands.
             good luck !!!!!!! kurt