Plymouth Owners Club

General Category => Technical Discussion => Topic started by: wretched4one on February 08, 2010, 08:42:50 PM

Title: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: wretched4one on February 08, 2010, 08:42:50 PM
On the front axle there was an aluminum shim between the spring and axle, see pic. The bolt that runs thru the springs has the nut side towards the axle and the excess bolt does not allow the spring to sit flush. I could take the bolt out and turn it around or cut off the excess bolt just want to make sure these shims are not needed. 
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: plym_46 on February 08, 2010, 09:12:41 PM
Not 100% sure but the shim might be setting the king pin inclination angle, for alignment purposes, kinda like setting the pinion angle on the rear end.  I think I would keep them.
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: TodFitch on February 08, 2010, 10:08:15 PM
I believe that plym_46 is correct, the shim sets the caster angle.
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: wretched4one on February 09, 2010, 06:15:56 PM
And where would you find those kind of specs? I've noticed manuals for the '35 are scarce.
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: plym_46 on February 09, 2010, 10:22:39 PM
Actually it is the caster angle that the shims set.  The king pin inclination determins the camber which with a solid axle is predetermined by the axle design.  Caster angle for bias ply tires us usually between 2 and 6 degrees toward the rear of the car.  This is what provides the self centering after you release the wheel from a turn, it also stabilizes the steering minimizing wander and resisting direction changes induced by road irregularities.
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: TodFitch on February 10, 2010, 12:50:38 AM
I don't have an official Plymouth book that shows the numbers for 1935 but I do have a aftermarket 1933-36 service book that says:

Quote1935 PJ Models: Minimum caster 1 degree; maximum caster, 2 1/2 degrees; preferred setting, 2 degrees

QuoteAll models from 1933 to 1936 Inclusive with conventional front axle: Minimum camber, 1/4 degree; maximum camber, 3/4 degree; preferred setting, 1/4 degree

QuoteAll models from 1933 to 1936 Inclusive: A diagram showing how the toe-in measurement should be made is shown in Fig. 50.

1) Set the front wheels in the straight ahead position and roll the car ahead at least one complete revolution of the front wheels.

2) Mark two points, C, and D, Fig. 50 hub high at the center of the tread at the rear of each front wheel and measure the distance A between these two points.

3) Roll the car forward as indicated by the arrow in the top view until the marks C and D are just hub high at the front side of the tires. Measure the distance B between the marks with the wheels in this position.

The toe-in of the wheels will be correct when the distance, B, is exactly 1/16" less than the distance A.
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: elmo on February 10, 2010, 03:57:42 AM
it is the castor angle they set , they were an xtra from the factory if needed , if original they should have the degrees needed stamped on them . the specs for a 35 are   prefered castor degrees +2   prefered cambor degrees +1/2 , toe in 1/16" kingpin inclanation degrees 9 1/2. i would get a wheel alinment done , if you dont fit them you will soon know if you need them or not , if you need them your steering will shimmer and shake (i,m showing my age here )more than Elvis
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: wretched4one on February 10, 2010, 11:06:17 PM
I see said the blind man. Thanks alot. Would like to get a copy of that after market manual if they are available. And on the front leaf spring rear shackle, does anyone know the spec for it?
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: elmo on February 11, 2010, 01:48:51 AM
if you have a 36-42  service manual go to the springs section , theres a diagram plus the measurements there
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: wretched4one on February 11, 2010, 04:08:44 PM
Ok. I thought they had coil springs after '35. But I guess they still used them. Would've been nice if they'd had more pics.
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: 36 Ply on February 12, 2010, 05:44:03 PM
My '36 has leaf springs, front & rear.

Regards,
Pat O'Connor
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: TodFitch on February 12, 2010, 06:03:58 PM
Quote from: wretched4one on February 11, 2010, 04:08:44 PM
Ok. I thought they had coil springs after '35. But I guess they still used them. Would've been nice if they'd had more pics.

In 1934 they went to independent front suspension but backed off by late 1934 with the introduction of the PG. The reason I heard was cost.

1935 through at least 1937 were "beam" axles. I don't have my references here and forgot to check last night after I noticed this post. They re-introduced independent front suspensions before WW2 but I can't remember what year. Maybe 1939 or 1940.
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: elmo on February 13, 2010, 12:48:15 AM
they reintroduced the coil front springs for the 39 model
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: JimCno on February 13, 2010, 10:22:48 AM
I have a '35 shop manual. If you would like I could scan some pages and send them your way.
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: wretched4one on February 13, 2010, 01:43:53 PM
Quote from: JimCno on February 13, 2010, 10:22:48 AM
I have a '35 shop manual. If you would like I could scan some pages and send them your way.

That would be great. You can e-mail them to

thanks, Greg
Title: Re: '35 front axle leaf spring shim
Post by: JimCno on February 14, 2010, 12:12:54 PM
The copies are in the E-mail.