Plymouth Owners Club

General Category => Technical Discussion => Topic started by: Plymouth1931 on October 06, 2009, 10:42:14 PM

Title: How can I move the crankshaft without starting it?
Post by: Plymouth1931 on October 06, 2009, 10:42:14 PM
 ::)I bought this 1936 4dr plymouth and want to know how to check if engine is siezed. I notice that there is a ""crank "opening in the front.WAs this used? Also it looks like the bell housing is cracked..Can it possilby be repaired? Thankyou in Minnesota
Title: Re: How can I move the crankshaft without starting it?
Post by: plym_46 on October 07, 2009, 12:42:24 AM
remove the spark plugs and turn it withthe fan while putting some pressure ont he belt. should turn over easily without compression.
Title: Re: How can I move the crankshaft without starting it?
Post by: Plymouth1931 on October 09, 2009, 02:25:12 PM
 :DThankyou....the crankshaft did turn.
Title: Re: How can I move the crankshaft without starting it?
Post by: JimCno on October 09, 2009, 04:28:38 PM
You may also be able to get a socket on the crank pulley bolt and run extensions through the opening you were talking about.

That bolt has changed sizes over the years so you'll have to look to see what size socket fits.