Plymouth Owners Club

General Category => Parts and Paper => Topic started by: captbrian41 on September 30, 2009, 07:22:42 AM

Title: clutch for a '41
Post by: captbrian41 on September 30, 2009, 07:22:42 AM
I am going to install an overdrive tranny in my '41 coupe over the winter and will be looking for a clutch and throwout bearing to install along with the OD trans. Any leads on locating these parts will be appreciated.
thanks, Brian, captbrian41
Title: Re: clutch for a '41
Post by: jd2ksilver on September 30, 2009, 03:41:43 PM
Hey Brian
I got mine from Kanter.  But there others as well I am sure.

http://www.kanter.com///gallery.aspx?Tg=1763662&Mak=Plymouth&Yr=41&Dv=1&Dpt=1500&Sb=0&Vdr=&Itm=&MDv=1&MDpt=0&MSb=0&Prc=
Title: Re: clutch for a '41
Post by: captbrian41 on October 01, 2009, 07:29:37 AM
Hi John, thought I might hear from you. Yeah I've bought fom Kanter before just thought there might be another supplier available. I'm not in a rush so I'll investigate some more.
thanks, Brian
Title: Re: clutch for a '41
Post by: Go Fleiter on October 01, 2009, 09:41:03 AM
Since 1996 I had good experiences with all of these, dealing most with Bernbaum, not all member?s  best friend..

Bernbaum?s auto parts   315 Franklin Street
Newton, MASS.  02158                                          http://www.oldmoparts.com/
Phone   + 617- 244- 1118         FAX   + 617- 244- 1164

Roberts ,  17 Prospect Street
West Newbury, MASS. 01985     
Phone (978) 363- 5407     www.robertsmotorparts.com

Pro antique Auto Parts,  50 King Spring Road,
Windsor Locks, CT 06096
Phone (860)- 623-8274   FAX (860) 627- 8061

NEIL RIDDLE -  (206) 285-6534 -

Vintage Power Wagons 
http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/products/featured-parts.htm
Title: Re: clutch for a '41
Post by: elmo on October 03, 2009, 03:31:55 AM
 don,t just restrict your search to 1941, from At least 1937-1954 PLYMOUTH used the same 9 1/4' clutch plate , clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing , for those of you that live out side of the US, i have found that the clutch plate from a 1967-70 British Vauxhall cresta is the same diameter and has the same spline pattern, now that could prove harder to find than the original ,
Title: Re: clutch for a '41
Post by: GWR on October 04, 2009, 12:33:20 AM
According to my parts book you need to look at size. The book lists a standard clutch pressure plate for the 1940 P-9 through the 1949 models as a part # 855517.? But it also lists different numbers for the 10" part # 857766 and 11" clutchs part #856392  for passenger cars over the same period of years .
The pickups, i.e. PT105, PT125 had part numbers for the 10" as 586783 and the 11" as 594201.

Somewhere I have an interchange manual which might also give us more, but can't lay my hands on it right now, must be in the shop.

Good luck in finding the right parts.

Gary
Title: Re: clutch for a '41
Post by: captbrian41 on October 04, 2009, 08:08:47 AM
might be best to go ahead when ready and jack up the car put it on stands and pull the tranny and see exactly what I have in there. Then go ahead and find the clutch and plate if it is needed. As long as i can roll the car in and out for a good engine cleaning it won't matter about driveability. Seems that I can have the parts in a rather timely fashion and I'l even try my local NAPA, they have come up with a lot of stuff for me.
Brian