Plymouth Owners Club

General Category => Technical Discussion => Topic started by: chetbrz on February 17, 2008, 06:10:22 PM

Title: Somebody here must know this...
Post by: chetbrz on February 17, 2008, 06:10:22 PM
Was the running boards on the 29 U sedan metal or wood.???

Tks,? Chet...
Title: Re: Somebody here must know this...
Post by: David Pollock on February 19, 2008, 06:05:43 PM
the 28 model 52 Chrysler had metal boards made up of four open channels welded together. I do not think they would go back to wood for the newer Plymouth
Title: Re: Somebody here must know this...
Post by: ski on February 19, 2008, 11:47:45 PM
Chet, I looked closer at mine and instead of ribs like I thought it was channels welded together just as David said. Here's a reference pic I found of some pricey NOS pieces.
ski

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/29-30-Dodge-NOS-MoPar-Senior-6-RUNNINGBOARDS-Victory_W0QQitemZ140140174105QQihZ004QQcategoryZ6763QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem


Title: Re: Somebody here must know this...
Post by: TodFitch on February 20, 2008, 12:26:32 PM
I noticed in the classified section of the Plymouth Bulletin that arrived at home yesterday that someone is reproducing the metal boards for the 1928-31 cars. Sounded a bit high priced for my budget but you might look there.
Title: Re: Somebody here must know this...
Post by: chetbrz on February 20, 2008, 06:05:50 PM
Tod, Ski, & David P.,

Thanks.., I saw the ad in the POC Bulletin.? The problem I have is a limit on the available dollars I have to spend on cars.? This year I will be sending the 48 to the paint shop and that will eat up a significant amount of available cash.? ?Even at the close to $900 dollar cost for the reproduction running boards I would still need to affix the rubber and buy a set of moldings.? It probably would be $1200.00 or more when all is said and done.?

I think I will stick with my project and see how it comes out.? After all.., at this point I don?t expect to win any car show trophies just want to tool around in a car, that to the average bystander, looks good.?

Anyway maybe someday down the road I will run across a parts car with useable running boards.? If not.., the option to spend money is always available.

Thanks for looking out for me,? Chet?

PS? Ski,? Buy-It-Now for $2200.00? all I can say is Holy Cow. !!!!!? :o

If you have running boards in good shape put them in the Safety Deposit box.
Title: Re: Somebody here must know this...
Post by: ski on February 21, 2008, 12:09:03 AM
Quote from: chetbrz on February 20, 2008, 06:05:50 PM

PS? Ski,? Buy-It-Now for $2200.00? all I can say is Holy Cow. !!!!!? :o


You ain't kidding Chet.  That's more than half what I paid for my whole car.  :o
Title: Re: Somebody here must know this...
Post by: MikeH on February 22, 2008, 06:17:12 PM
I don't know exactly what they look like, but I would bet you
could find a local craftsman who could duplicate them for you.
I know a guy in Maryland who can make anything out of
steel.  You might also try Buckeye Rubber in Ohio, I don't
think they have them, but they might be able to refer you.

Mike
Title: Re: Somebody here must know this...
Post by: MikeH on February 22, 2008, 06:23:08 PM
I just remembered,  Gene Sanson in New Jersey has a bunch of NOS, NORS running boards.

Look in Hemming's, he's always got a few ads.

Mike
Title: Re: Somebody here must know this...
Post by: chetbrz on February 24, 2008, 11:35:15 PM
Today I finished the driver's side running board.? Personally I thinks it looks pretty done OK...

(https://www.plymouthowners.club/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chetscoins.com%2F1929%2Fimages%2FRunningBoard06.jpg&hash=ea0474efedd272dfbce3a2b57d78510489dfa6cc)

The total project cost for both will not exceed $150.00? The ribbed rubber looks really nice and doesn't have the swirl illusion that the camera captured in the photo.
Total visiable width is 1.0625 inches

Looks pretty close?to the link below minus the big price tag.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/29-30-Dodge-NOS-MoPar-Senior-6-RUNNINGBOARDS-Victory_W0QQitemZ140140174105QQihZ004QQcategoryZ6763QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Chet...? ?::)

For the Project Blow by Blow click on this link... http://www.chetscoins.com/1929/Work_Files/Running%20Board%20Redo.htm
Title: Re: Somebody here must know this...
Post by: ski on February 26, 2008, 01:51:31 AM
Nice job Chet.  Looks great.
Title: Re: Somebody here must know this...
Post by: GWR on February 29, 2008, 04:20:22 AM
Hi, I'm the guy  who has the ad in the POC Bulletin for the 28-30 running boards. I have a couple 30U Business coupes and neither one had good running boards. One was reasonable, it was obviously a replacement, it still had the part number painted on the bottom.

Everybody that I talked to said just make them out of wood and everything would be fine. Well I'm not building a points car, but still wanted it to be as original as possible. So I dicid to have them reproduced out of meteal as originals. I worked with several people here on the west coast and couldn't find anyone the wold do it any cheeper than the people I have doing it (an east coast company). And to get that price I have to have at least three sets made at a time.

You are really correct when yousay the are expensive and can take up a good part of a years mad money. I think I have them listed at $895..00 plus shipping, but I can include shipping in the price. But then you have to get the rubber and the aluminum trim ( Bob Romano has a ad in the bulletin for moldings for the 28-32PA. I forget what I paid for those, but everything look like a new car. Just my 2Cents worth.
Title: Re: Somebody here must know this...
Post by: chetbrz on March 02, 2008, 03:52:40 PM
Quote from: GWR on February 29, 2008, 04:20:22 AM
Hi, I'm the guy? who has the ad in the POC Bulletin for the 28-30 running boards. I have a couple 30U Business coupes and neither one had good running boards. One was reasonable, it was obviously a replacement, it still had the part number painted on the bottom.

Everybody that I talked to said just make them out of wood and everything would be fine. Well I'm not building a points car, but still wanted it to be as original as possible. So I dicid to have them reproduced out of meteal as originals. I worked with several people here on the west coast and couldn't find anyone the wold do it any cheeper than the people I have doing it (an east coast company). And to get that price I have to have at least three sets made at a time.

You are really correct when yousay the are expensive and can take up a good part of a years mad money. I think I have them listed at $895..00 plus shipping, but I can include shipping in the price. But then you have to get the rubber and the aluminum trim ( Bob Romano has a ad in the bulletin for moldings for the 28-32PA. I forget what I paid for those, but everything look like a new car. Just my 2Cents worth.

GWR,

I appreciate the costs involved in getting things remanufactured.? If my car was pretty close to perfect I would consider purchasing the running boards you have.? Unfortunately I have so many other things that need attention and will most likely drain my available funds.., so it is just a personal choice and I didn?t mean too, in anyway, belittle your efforts.

Actually I am glad that so many POC members think of their comrades when they strike out on projects like these.? I am sure you will sell the remaining running boards and the price is comparable to other running boards fabricated for cars like the Model A. The thing about the Model A is that there are just a lot more of them running around the streets then our early Plymouths.

Good Luck & thanks,? Chet?