Plymouth Owners Club

General Category => Technical Discussion => Topic started by: 36ply4dr on June 20, 2007, 04:55:56 PM

Title: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: 36ply4dr on June 20, 2007, 04:55:56 PM
Hello,

I just joined the boards and I'm looking forward to garnering great information from the experts out there.? I have a 36 Plymouth 4door (p2?) and I have a few quick questions.

Of all the pictures I've found online, all the 36 4dr sedans I see have a 'hump' back with a rear trunk.? Mine is smooth and has no trunk. It can only be accessed from inside the vehicle. Question is what body style is this?? Anyone have a source as to how many of these were made and what the option is?

I'll try to get a pic up later today when I get home.

Much thanks in advance.

Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: TodFitch on June 20, 2007, 06:45:12 PM
In the nomenclature of the era, your car is a "Four Door Sedan". If it was the "humpbacked" style with a trunk it would have been a "Touring Four Door Sedan".

For the DeLuxe (P2) my records show that 10,001 four door sedans were built while 240,136 touring four door sedans were built. See:

http://www.ply33.com/Models/P2/#4door

By the way, I don't have any photos of the sedan, only of the "touring sedan". So I would like to get one for my web site. Thanks!
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: 36ply4dr on June 20, 2007, 11:43:13 PM
Ah, Thank you for the clarification. I will definitely get pics up for you.
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: 36ply4dr on March 31, 2008, 01:22:26 AM
(https://www.plymouthowners.club/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg174.imageshack.us%2Fimg174%2F9757%2Fdsc03279cp3.th.jpg&hash=63c0bb6a3483708716d9b124ddcd5f6e36ee8d45) (http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc03279cp3.jpg)

Here's a basic shot for you.
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: 36 Ply on March 31, 2008, 09:47:21 AM
Good looking '36, and your garage is more organized than mine!

I owned a '36  4 door touring sedan from 1969-1990, and sold it when I bought my present '36 convertible.

Good luck with yours.

Pat O'Connor
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: elmo on April 02, 2008, 03:40:30 AM
36ply4dr  I could be wrong but to me you car looks like the business series as it has a painted windshield frame ,the deluxe series were chrome plated. some of the options available were , right windsheild wiper, right tail light ,also fender mounted spare wheel either one on the  right or both sides as well as the fenders and head lights painted in body color.in 1936 they were usualy painted black.  if your car has the originall engine it should be easy to tell if it is a p1 or a p2. the engine # is on the top front left cnr of the block it should start with either p1 or p2
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: Jim Benjaminson on April 02, 2008, 11:59:17 PM
If you post the serial number (right front door post) and the body number (tag on the engine side of the firewall) I can tell whether its a P1 or a P2 for certain.  With the white paint job (that's not an original '36 color), its possible the windshield frame, etc., was painted over.  The P2 also have three chrome chevrons on the headlight stands, along with other differences.
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: 36ply4dr on May 01, 2008, 11:42:08 AM
Serial number 1131982

body number 8105047  briggs mfg co, detroit, mich

engine d24-417896

also has this on the intake manifold 1120002-8
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: TodFitch on May 01, 2008, 12:47:27 PM
Quote from: 36ply4dr on May 01, 2008, 11:42:08 AM
Serial number 1131982

body number 8105047? briggs mfg co, detroit, mich

engine d24-417896

also has this on the intake manifold 1120002-8

Serial numbers 1,111,701 through 1,183,569 were for P1 (Standard) built in Detroit. Engine numbers starting with D24 are for 1946-48 Dodge cars and are larger (230 cu. in.) than the 201 cu. in. engine that came in the 1936 Plymouth.
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: Lew on September 11, 2008, 08:58:37 PM
Just getting to this post and would like to add that your business series 4 door would have some features different from the deluxe according to my reference materials:
Engine would have P2 prefix also for P1 series; supposedly P2 designation used on all '36 engines.
Springs have 1 less leaf than deluxe, i. e , 7 leaves in rear, etc.
Wheels were generally 17" unless other options ordered.
Pin stripes are not clear. Sales brochures show 3 lines, 1 fat middle line with 2 thinner outside stripes stopping at front edge of hood.
P1 Interior had only one glove box ,no ash trays, etc. and painted interior mouldings/dash; black instrument cluster face.
Shock absorbers were a little different between deluxe and business line.

Lew R.
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: 36ply4dr on September 13, 2008, 02:41:20 AM
Thanks!

No ash tray.? engine is not original. I believe the instrument face is cream.

Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: CG sailor on September 13, 2008, 02:06:04 PM
Very cool project. I am working on a 36 2dr trunk back. Welcome aboard, the guys and gals on this site are pretty helpfull.
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: Lew on November 04, 2008, 10:20:26 PM
In response to your request for production numbers, the Standard Catalogue of Chrysler lists 19,104 cars produced for the P1 Business 4dr, while there is also listed a P2 Deluxe 4dr (without humpback trunk) of 10,001 units. The touring (deluxe) 4 dr. sedan (with the humpback) lists 240,136 units produced. What is interesting is that it lists a 4 dr.trunk (humpback sedan) in the business series (stripped of the deluxe features) with 1544 cars produced.
LR
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: 36ply4dr on November 04, 2008, 11:59:41 PM
Hmm i see so mine is 1 of 19,104 of the p1 business 4dr
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: Chrycoman on November 07, 2008, 08:43:38 AM
Quote from: Lew on November 04, 2008, 10:20:26 PM
In response to your request for production numbers, the Standard Catalogue of Chrysler lists 19,104 cars produced for the P1 Business 4dr, while there is also listed a P2 Deluxe 4dr (without humpback trunk) of 10,001 units. The touring (deluxe) 4 dr. sedan (with the humpback) lists 240,136 units produced. What is interesting is that it lists a 4 dr.trunk (humpback sedan) in the business series (stripped of the deluxe features) with 1544 cars produced.
LR

In the U.S. the touring sedans were available only in the Deluxe (P2) series and not in the Business (P1) series.? In Canada, the touring sedans were available in all three series Six (P1), Deluxe Six (P2) and Custom Six (P2).? ?The opposite was true for the flatback sedans with them being available in Business (P1) and Deluxe (P2) in the U.S. and only the Six (P1) in Canada.?

Bill
Vancouver, BC
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: Lew on November 22, 2008, 07:53:14 PM
 Your photo with the exposed engine is interesting; your car appears to have front shocks with a rod connected between them and runing between the front cross member and engine. My P1 has a sway bar connected to the front shock arms connected to (dual action) shocks crossing above the frame. Also, I have tube links from the shock arm to the frame set up, not rods. Perhaps someone can shed light on this,  or maybe I have a P1 body on a P2 frame set up?.

LR
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: 36ply4dr on November 24, 2008, 06:44:50 PM
I think what you are seeing is my fuel line. It runs across the front of the motor there. I'm not sure if that is the original setup or not. It comes across the driver side, across the front and to an aftermarket fuel filter. It's someones 'handiwork' for sure.  I'll probably try to reroute it some place more out of the way.
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: Lew on November 26, 2008, 12:18:43 AM
In my '36, the fuel line runs down the right side of the frame; the brake line feed down the left side, then crosses over the front cross member to the right front wheel.
LR
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: TodFitch on November 26, 2008, 10:39:26 AM
Quote from: Lew on November 26, 2008, 12:18:43 AM
In my '36, the fuel line runs down the right side of the frame; the brake line feed down the left side, then crosses over the front cross member to the right front wheel.
LR

That is pretty much the way my 1933 is plumbed too.
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: Bender on December 15, 2008, 07:47:35 AM
They were commonly called "slantback" sedans.


Quote from: 36ply4dr on June 20, 2007, 04:55:56 PM
Hello,

I just joined the boards and I'm looking forward to garnering great information from the experts out there.? I have a 36 Plymouth 4door (p2?) and I have a few quick questions.

Of all the pictures I've found online, all the 36 4dr sedans I see have a 'hump' back with a rear trunk.? Mine is smooth and has no trunk. It can only be accessed from inside the vehicle. Question is what body style is this?? Anyone have a source as to how many of these were made and what the option is?

I'll try to get a pic up later today when I get home.

Much thanks in advance.


Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: Bender on December 15, 2008, 07:50:05 AM
Quote from: 36ply4dr on March 31, 2008, 01:22:26 AM
Here's a basic shot for you.

You have a well-organized garage. I'm jealous.
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: Pandanom on December 15, 2008, 06:11:24 PM
Tod, It seems odd that the number produced in '36 is almost completely reversed in '37. For instance, you say 240,136 Touring 4 door sedans were built in '36 and only 9,000 in '37. On Four door sedans you show 10,001 built in '36 but 269,000 4 door sedans in '37. Am I reading this wrong or did something change so much in one year?

Jim


Quote from: TodFitch on June 20, 2007, 06:45:12 PM
In the nomenclature of the era, your car is a "Four Door Sedan". If it was the "humpbacked" style with a trunk it would have been a "Touring Four Door Sedan".

For the DeLuxe (P2) my records show that 10,001 four door sedans were built while 240,136 touring four door sedans were built. See:

http://www.ply33.com/Models/P2/#4door

By the way, I don't have any photos of the sedan, only of the "touring sedan". So I would like to get one for my web site. Thanks!
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: Lew on December 18, 2008, 09:25:12 PM
The production figures listed were from the Standard Catalogue of Chrysler, 1914-2000, 2nd edition, from Krause Publications.,page 410.
The list comprises P1 business and P2 deluxe models and by body code.
The 1937 figures are on page 412. I don't have scanning capability now, otherwise I'd post them.

LR
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: Pandanom on December 18, 2008, 09:55:58 PM
You could just tell us.



Quote from: Lew on December 18, 2008, 09:25:12 PM
The production figures listed were from the Standard Catalogue of Chrysler, 1914-2000, 2nd edition, from Krause Publications.,page 410.
The list comprises P1 business and P2 deluxe models and by body code.
The 1937 figures are on page 412. I don't have scanning capability now, otherwise I'd post them.

LR
Title: Re: 36 4dr 'slope' back.
Post by: elmo on December 19, 2008, 12:01:53 AM
the figures for 36 are right but the 37 ones for the hump back touring sedan are 9,000 for the 2 door and 269,o62 for the 4 door touring sedan