Testing the new forum

Started by The Other Dr. Z, April 04, 2018, 08:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twpoulter

Let me try,

[attachment id=0 msg=18876]

I will possibly get an error because I am on my iPad and can't check the size of the photo.

[attachment id=1 msg=18876]

This is looking good so far.

[attachment id=2 msg=18876]

Thank you David, sorry to have given you a hard time.
Tom in the UK       1933 PDX R/S Coupe RHD
1934 PE PU if there was one              1941 PT125 
  https://ctrestorations.com/
  •  

Bill Davis

Bob,
Thank you for your kind words.
-Bill Davis, Killen,AL
1951 Plymouth P-23 Cambridge 4 door
  •  

RC Drown

•  

Bill Davis

For me, posting a photo here works like it always has.  I don't see any changes.
Maybe I am not looking in the right place.
-Bill Davis, Killen,AL
  •  

Bill Davis

Let me test this "puppy" .......
-Bill Davis, Killen,AL
  •  

The Other Dr. Z

QuoteIs it too much to ask if we will resolve the embedded photo problem, I can go on aaca and it works there, personally I don't see any advantages with this new platform.

[attachment id=0 msg=18868]

Fixed. This is not a new platform, it's the same one we've had. When you upload an attachment, you will now see a link next to it which puts in the embed code for you. (I actually fixed it yesterday afternoon and posted an announcement in this very forum — it's pinned to the top.)
Dave created Allpar in 1994 and sold it in 2017. Mopar news • Books (minivans, Viper, Jeeps)Motales - Chrysler-Plymouth History and Cars
  •  

twpoulter

Quote from: The Other Dr. Z on April 15, 2018, 05:26:59 PM
Quote from: twpoulter on April 13, 2018, 06:01:13 PM
David, are you able to say if it is hoped to be able to get the embedded photos of the attachments up and running in time

At this point, the photos should appear in "full" (as much as possible) width within the post, but not embedded in any particular point of the post. There's a workaround, which is to attach an image and then reference it via code...but I don't know how to do that myself. There are a couple of plugins for that purpose but they didn't work when I tried them.

Is it too much to ask if we will resolve the embedded photo problem, I can go on aaca and it works there, personally I don't see any advantages with this new platform.
  •  

Bill Davis

-Bill Davis, Killen,AL
  •  

RC Drown

one of my favorites   
  •  

The Other Dr. Z

Quote from: twpoulter on April 13, 2018, 06:01:13 PM
David, are you able to say if it is hoped to be able to get the embedded photos of the attachments up and running in time

At this point, the photos should appear in "full" (as much as possible) width within the post, but not embedded in any particular point of the post. There's a workaround, which is to attach an image and then reference it via code...but I don't know how to do that myself. There are a couple of plugins for that purpose but they didn't work when I tried them.
Dave created Allpar in 1994 and sold it in 2017. Mopar news • Books (minivans, Viper, Jeeps)Motales - Chrysler-Plymouth History and Cars
  •  

twpoulter

Tom
  •  

The Other Dr. Z

As Mark said!

We are on a virtual private server (SSD storage) at LiquidWeb, one of the more reputable companies. [Update: we moved]

The club has used SMF for years and years. It "should" be stable. The problem seems to be interference with the local security rules. SMF was apparently written without regard for these. I'm finding and attacking issues one by one, being careful not to let SMF disturb everything else. I think I've nailed it down now! (but let me know if I haven't.

The process would go faster if people would let me know when they run into problems.

As for options, TheAdminZone.com  has many complaints about VBulletin, but people seem to like Xenforo (and of course I'm very familiar with it from allpar.com). I would say Invisionboard is an option, but the customer support at Xenforo is so much better that I'll never go back if I have a choice.

I think the main problem here is the huge size of the attachments (2.5 megabytes for web files? people upload 3,000 pixel wide images and then look at them on 1,080 pixel screens...) and the fact that SMF doesn't automatically split up the uploads folder. There are ways around both of these problems but so far I haven't had much success with them.  I'm afraid to automatically downsize the attachments.

SMF recoded their names to drop extensions, so you can only access them within SMF, which is a nice idea from an image-hijacking point of view but really too complicated...
  •  

POC-Admin

This is SMF - not GoDaddy - GoDaddy is a professional hosting company. They host web sites and issue domain names. They are not single user by any means. They do not write software like SMF.

SMF is the app running here on the web server - this is forum is no longer hosted on GoDaddy. Dr. Z is moving everything to the same server this resides on.

Simple Machine Forums is used on many web sites - it is free and group supported - like Linux -   VBulletin costs money and is a  competitor to SMF but which is better is not easy to say.

https://www.similartech.com/compare/smf-vs-vbulletin

Live long and prosper!
My real name is Mark Olson
  •  

twpoulter

Is this platform a serious contender for our type of use, personally I have always thought of Go Daddy as something more suitable for a single user, members pay dues and what charges are incurred come from that that income. I use several other forum at no cost to members at all. Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.  ......Powered by Invision Community.......Powered by Invision Community.....This website is operated by Haymarket Media Group Limited .
The lists go on at this time I do not feel this platform is giving me what I want.
  •  

The Other Dr. Z

I shut off the image proxy for external images, because it wasn't working properly. There are still here-and-there image-loading issues for existing images. I don't know what's causing this but I'm still checking options.

Update: Think I may have fixed some of our odd sporadic issues... clashing with security software.
Second update: Okay, I hadn't fixed that, but I think I have it now. Still some images aren't loading when they should. Some of these images are immense, — 2.5 MB, for example. That's probably part of the problem.
  •  

twpoulter

Quote from: POC-Admin on April 09, 2018, 02:09:00 PM
Bob,

Dr. Zatz is the one doing this now - I am still moderating but not the background stuff. Thank David.

Mark

Thank you Mark for all your help over the years, looks like i may take a while before we get back to something like normal. All black magic to me, I just want it to work.
  •  

POC-Admin

Bob,

Dr. Zatz is the one doing this now - I am still moderating but not the background stuff. Thank David.

Mark
Live long and prosper!
  •  

Go Fleiter

And Mark too: thanks for doing all this for our Plymouth hobby!!
Greetings! Go
Living in Düsseldorf/Germany, retired Dentist, wife retired lawyer, 2 daughters Judge and psychologist, 3 Grandchilds-Sorry for bad English
I like- PennsyRR- travelling Europe in my very original 51 Ply- My whole basement HO Germany based Model Railroad- 50ties stuff- Italy
  •  

The Other Dr. Z

Quote from: POC-Admin on April 07, 2018, 08:53:52 PM

PS there is something wrong with the attachments - the don't load like they used to.

Mark

Yes. I found the wrong-size setting but there's some issue with proxy or cache or something that I've never encountered before, even though I've run SMF before. I just deleted the file cache in hopes that will help.
  •  

RC Drown

Tom,

your workmanship is awesome
  •  

POC-Admin

Quote from: The Other Dr. Z on April 07, 2018, 02:00:05 PM
Interesting... have the forums always been shown in reverse chronological order, or is that a mistake?
[/quote0]

I set it up that way seems stupid to scroll through a bunch of old posts when they can be like Facebook and the newest on top.

PS there is something wrong with the attachments - the don't load like they used to.

Mark
Live long and prosper!
  •  

twpoulter

I'm under the impression the user can choose which way they want it.

photo test.
[attach=2,msg18802]
Left hand Drive

[img]http://[attach=1,msg18802]
Right Hand Drive

[attachimg=3]
  •  

RC Drown

The most recent post is always the top one
  •  

The Other Dr. Z

Interesting... have the forums always been shown in reverse chronological order, or is that a mistake?
  •  

RC Drown

at the end of a dirt road in Ulster County NY
  •  

RC Drown

Thanks Mark, I have arrived again   LOL
  •  

POC-Admin

Seems to be up and running - thanks!

Mark
Live long and prosper!
  •  

The Other Dr. Z

I am glad I decided to test the new forum because I discovered the smileys were missing (they are back now).

We how have standard SSL and a bit more speed.

Please let me know if anything is funky or weird or wrong and I'll try to fix it.

Attaching a file as a test.
  •  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk